Headlight fogginess

I have a 1998 corolla that has good, but foggy headlights. I am sure the fog comes from the exterior because I can use a wood cleaner like pledge on it and it clears right up, but only for about 2 minutes. Is there any miracle cure to get rid of the fog on the outside of my headlights?

-Foggy McGee

Reply to
Steve Henderson

When you find it, let me know...

What has happened is the clear 'optical' coating on the headlights has worn away from years of 'sandblasting'. I don't know how to repair it except for buffing and a good coat of wax. This works for a few weeks or a couple months, but not very well.

The coating is a two-part clear optical epoxy that is not available over-the-counter. Even if it were, you have to polish the plastic lens surface clear agian before applying.

Best bet for a more permanent fix is to try Certi-fit and see how much a replacement costs. I know for my Caravan they are $38, but those are 'old school' '94 headlights.

Perhaps (hopefully) someone will have a suggestion that works...

Reply to
hachiroku

hachiroku wrote in news:jVNpe.2872$2H2.363@trndny08:

You can get something for this purpose:

is your friend.

around to some body shops.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Nah...it keeps sending me on wild goose chases...

Reply to
Hachiroku

A fine grade plastic polish should do the trick. I have a BMW with foggy headlamps. I found a replacement set on eBay that was in good shape and near my house, so I bought them. I still have my original headlamps, and came across some plastic polish about three weeks after replacing the assemblies. Since these are now spares, I decided that nothing would be lost if I messed them up, so I went at them with the polish.

I could have saved the commute and the bucks I spent going to get the second-hand headlamps. The polish cleaned the lenses up very nicely, and they remain cloud free several months later.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you want to keep your new lenses clear, apply a polymer polish, like Nufinish, two or three time a year, WBMA. Cloudy leases are simply the result of owner neglect.

mike hunt

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
BenDover