Shelby GT-H

DETROIT -- Ford dealers will get a retail version of the Shelby GT-H -- the

325-horsepower Hertz Mustang rent-a-racer announced at the New York auto show in April.

The retail car will be called the Shelby GT and will be available for the

2007 model year, say Ford dealers who were told about the car at dealer meetings last week in Las Vegas. Ford executives also told dealers that production versions of the Ford Fairlane and Lincoln MKS concept vehicles are on their way.

Volume numbers for the new Shelby GT haven't been finalized, but Ford plans to distribute at least a few thousand, a Ford source said.

The Shelby GT will be available in black or white paint with silver stripes. It will have similar features to the Hertz Mustang including hood pins and special side scoops.

The cars will be finished at Carroll Shelby's shop in Las Vegas, the Ford source said. That shop is making 500 units of the 2006 Shelby GT-H for Hertz.

Reply to
edb

I drove a Hertz Shelby 2 weeks ago in San Diego... Other than being a nice looking car, I didn't notice much difference, some but not 'much', in performance between it and my 06 GT vert... (Other than the fact I couldn't drop the top on it.. :-) )

I only had it for a day, my wife insisted we get something a little more 'practical' for the rest of our vacation... I DID notice a HUGE difference between the Hertz Shelby I had for a day, and the Hyundai Sonata I was driving the other 7 days... :-(

Reply to
tony