Help identify Shelby

I'm a bit confused. A few days ago I drove by a 2-3 year old Stang. It had Shelby logos and Cobra snakes on the sides. It didn't say GT500 anywhere though. Was this some sort of kit that a guy modded his regular GT with or was there an actual non-GT500 Shelby Cobra made recently.

Thanks Ron

Reply to
unix

Seems as if you might have seen a 2007 or 2008 Shelby GT Mustang. They and the Shelby GTH (Hertz Rent-A-Car) models are the only cars actually modified in the Shelby Las Vegas factory. Shelby GT500s are a Ford product, never touched by Shelby pre-delivery.

Shelby will lay hands on a GT500 or a Shelby GT, to improve them in various ways:

They wouldn't do a convertible Terlingua Mustang, or I might still have the 2006 V6.

The Shelby and snake logos are well-earned on the Shelby GTs. Shelby GTs have dominated their stock class in SCCA national championship autocross competition the past two years. Shelby GT500s are a different animal.

There are a few Shelby GTs still unsold, and prices are good right now.

Much of the Shelby massage of a Mustang GT consists of bolting-on Ford Racing and Performance Parts pieces, all of good design and quality suitable to their use. There are other nuances of modification not obvious to non-Shelby GT aficionados.

I chose the Mustang GT/CS (California Special) options, since they incorporate most of what I would have felt useful changes or additions to the plain-Jane Mustang GT. I don't feel a need for the Shelby cachet, nor the ride-quality compromises inherent in the FRPP suspension mods (which Shelby GT owners adamantly deny). Otherwise, the Shelby GT is pretty much a worthwhile change on the Mustang GT theme, if a little overpriced.

There is no Mustang owner group more avid than Shelby GT owners. Good on 'em.

Of course you may have seen the result of an individual's own idea of what makes a good Mustang GT even better. That would be a shame.

Reply to
Frank ess

Reply to
Defiant

The Shelby GT does not snake emblems.... it has a "Powered by Ford" emblem on the front fender and says "Shelby GT" on the rocker banner... that's about it...

Did a quick scan of my archives... from the 45th at Barber:

Sounds like someone misbadged their car... People just love to stick cobras and shelby on their cars... misbadging a car is a pet peeve of mine!

As far as the "value" of the Shelby GT.... i will have to politely disagree with you... i believe they are way over priced for what you get... a few bolt on and that ugly hood scoop... Also you can still find some brand new 2008's still sitting on the dealers lots!

Reply to
John S.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "value"; perhaps I didn't make clear that I believe "Shelby" is an important name in automotive history, and that those who value it value it, and are willing to pay for it. I'm one of them, but not at the going rate, thank you. Both my strut tower braces are from Shelby. At the time I was shopping, they were the only ones that anchored to all four tower bolts and consisted of more than a single tube as brace. I paid probably $50 dollars more to get the "Shelby" name on them. That is within my caché budget; $10,000 extra for a row of shiny letters on the back of a car is not.

When I got my 2009 GT/CS (September 1, 2009) the dealer had on offer a

2007 Shelby GT, and didn't seem willing to discount it to the point I'd be interested in buying it. Those may have been the last days a Shelby could bring close to its sticker price.

I agree on the scoop; not only is it ugly, but the material and installation seem to result in more complaints and adjustments than any other part of the car. I can't believe the cost some of those owners go to, to get it perfect, and then what have they got? A perfectly ugly, non-functional scoop.

I'm still trying to find someone willing to swap their scoopless white hood for my "Appearance Group" hood with the fake scoop. The Shelby GTs come without rear wings, (or spoilers, whichever they are called). That's a point in their favor, also.

Reply to
Frank ess

I believe the Shelby GTs are said to have 319 HP as contrasted to the Mustang GT's 300. From what I can gather, the increase is entirely due to a Bullitt-like cold air intake, M-4230-GTA mufflers, and a Ford Racing Performance Parts tune.

2007/8 Bullitts are said to have 315 HP, same basis for increase, I think, but without the GTA mufflers; the GTBs must be a bit more restrictive. 2010 GTs come with 310 or 315; I forget.
Reply to
Frank ess

M-*5*230-GTA

Reply to
Frank ess

I just bought a 2007 Shelby GT with 7800 miles on it, for about what a comparable 2009 GT would cost. Plenty available right now in the $25K range with less than 15K miles on them. The fact that they made them for only 1.5 years, and they are the only true Shelby-mod Mustangs offered since 1967, makes them a future classic. Watch what happens to the value when CS eventually passes on. I think it's a good investment. I've heard of new 2008s sitting unsold at $31K. If I had the money I'd buy another and store it.

Reply to
RB