SN95: v8 airbox on v6?

I'm wondering if putting a stock V8 airbox out of a 98 GT on my 1995 V6 will do anything positive. I'm hoping for a little bit more air, especially in this hot Fla climate so she breathes better.

I got the box, snorkel and tube as a freebie and am pretty sure the box will fit on my V6 MAF housing after I take that plastic piece it is in off. I'm aware the throttlebody still will be a bottleneck but haven't investigated upgrading that one yet. I intend to use the snorkel but shorten it a bit so it has a larger opening inside the fender. I fear removing it will pull air from the engine compartment which will be too hot.

Anybody?

Reply to
Paul
** I'm wondering if putting a stock V8 airbox out of a 98 GT on my 1995 V6 ** will do anything positive. I'm hoping for a little bit more air, ** especially in this hot Fla climate so she breathes better. ** ** I got the box, snorkel and tube as a freebie and am pretty sure the box ** will fit on my V6 MAF housing after I take that plastic piece it is in ** off. I'm aware the throttlebody still will be a bottleneck but haven't ** investigated upgrading that one yet. I intend to use the snorkel but ** shorten it a bit so it has a larger opening inside the fender. I fear ** removing it will pull air from the engine compartment which will be too ** hot. ** ** Anybody?

Very doubtful, in fact, I'd bet serious money that it won't make a bit of difference. If you install a larger throttle body, you'll lose tremendous amounts of torque. The 6's are pretty well optimized as-is.

If you're getting the GT itch, maybe it's time to just buy one?

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

at 24 Jun 2004, JD Adams [ snipped-for-privacy@Softcom.Net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm just worried in the hot Fla summer climate about not getting enough air in. I'm going to retire the K&N because of teh fine dust problems it has. I originally installed it to get more airflow into the engine to make her breathe easier. I did notice a difference but maybe that was subjective. That why I am wondering if the V8 airbox with a paper filter will give me that better breathing. As I said, it was a freebie and it makes changing the filter a lot easier then on the v6 box, which is a pain in the ass...

Not until 06 at least. I've set my sights on one of the new bodystyle convertibles. Preferably indeed GT, but if I'd have to choose between a V6 convertible and v8 coupe, I'd go for the V6. :-)

And even then, I may still keep pony and use her as a daily or bad weather driver.. :-)

Reply to
Paul