Squeal...?

Greetings! About a year ago the intake manifold cracked on my 96 GT, and bathed the engine in coolant. Unfortunately, while I was able to clean up the mess (as best I could, anyway) I then had to let it sit for about a week before I could work on it. To make a long story short...since then, whenever the engine comes up to temp, there is an uneven high pitched squeal that appears to be coming from the alternator(?). This doesn't happen when the engine is just started, or when I turn the alternator by hand, only when the car has been driven for a while, and changes pitch with the engine revs. It is constant, but inconsistent in pitch when the engine is at idle. More the uneven squeak of one of those old half-rusted, wall-mounted pencil sharpeners then a steady harmonic. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Wolf

Reply to
Wolfgang

Wolfgang opined in news:df4Ua.139270$N7.19934@sccrnsc03:

HAve you changed the belt?

Glycol soaked belts make an uneven squeaky/ squealing sound.

If that doesnt do it, may be the alternator... but it should have failed by now if it were that serious.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic