stuck real caliper slides.

Ok, about 40K miles ago, when I last did my rear pads, I made sure the slide pins were nice and lubed. Well today when I go to put the new pads on, I find that the lower one on *BOTH* sides is siezed in place. I have scared one up pretty good trying to remove it and will likely need to buy at least one new one.

My set of known tricks to remove stuck caliper slide pins don't work with this set up. I am sure this hasn't only happened to me... Anyone got any ideas how to remove the freakin' pins? I am thinking that I'll have to buy a slide hammer that can grip them or be bolted to them that I can fit in there and use it. The slide hammer I have has big 'puller' end that I can't fit in there and would make for an off-center impact. I suppose I can get another set of caliper brackets from a salvage yard, but it would probably cost me...

If anyone has some tricks, it would be nice to know. And please don't give me some crap about not checking them every 3 days, what's done is done. thanks..

Reply to
Brent P
** Ok, about 40K miles ago, when I last did my rear pads, I made sure ** the slide pins were nice and lubed. Well today when I go to put ** the new pads on, I find that the lower one on *BOTH* sides is siezed ** in place. I have scared one up pretty good trying to remove it and ** will likely need to buy at least one new one.

I'm curious what you used to lube them up. I've always used a little anti-sieze, and it works well. You may have to spray a bit of penetrating oil and let it sit a bit before trying to knock them out, or you're in for some knuckle-busting.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Regular old brake caliper slide grease... nothing special. In fact I didn't have to add much if any the last time I changed pads, it was still well greased and clean. the boots weren't cracked so I dunno how they got rusted.

Yeah, the one that still has boot is filled with penetrating oil. the other is coated in it. I'll probably put a bunch more on it and find some way of sealing it up tomorrow.

I'll probably end up getting a different slide hammer or taking the brackets off the car to use the one I have. It was my grandfather's, he's got a couple homemade plates that should adapt it to the job I want to do with it. Just no space in there for it.

Reply to
Brent P