Thanks Backyard (O2 sensor replacement)

Recap:... I had an intermittent problem with an O2 sensor, plus possible fuel contamination. Ran out bad gas, ran "sea foam" through vacuum hose, and put some into gas. Made O2 sensor problem go away and car ran normal..

As per Backyard's suggestion that O2 sensors aren't made to last forever.. I changed all four of mine. I had 138,000 miles on mine in a 96 coupe. Now car seems to be more responsive than before (when computer wasn't in limp home mode..) $290 for parts and 15 minutes on the lift.. Now when I do have a problem or get a code... and least O2 sensors shouldn't be a problem for a while... Looking forward to checking milage on next trip.. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

IT HAS FOUR?? Good Lord. I again thank the stars for my '67.

I changed the O2 sensor in my Tempo at 124k. At 196k, she's no beauty queen, but 28-33 mpg is nice with gas prices where they are.

I had 138,000 miles on mine in

ByM -is- a crusty old geezer curmudgeon, but he doesn't talk (much) shit.

Reply to
Wound Up

Chuck opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Much as I appreciate kudo's... I dont advocate replacing O2 sensors for "aging". and a search of the group on google doesnt show me responding to that.

Looks lik eit might have been JS and REIN

I have had several high mileage vehicles and only had to replace a couple of them.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Humm.. my old timers must be acting up again.... You've given me good advice before... so I must have ASSumed! Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Welcome to dual exhaust OBD-II cars. My '97 Cobra is the same way. I'm afraid to see how much it'll cost for a round of sensors.

The front two are calculated in the air/fuel mix... the rears are there to tell the computer that the cats are working. This is why there are a lot of O2 sensor eliminator kits for the rear two...

Sensor. Singular. Must be nice... lol. Speaking of gas mileage, I hope it gets warm and dry here real soon so I can start riding the bike to work more often...

JS

Reply to
JS

well, like any part really, it's just to show that it CAN break down pretty early. I had one o2 sensor go out around 50K on my 95GT, and the other sensor was still fine at 92K. Go figure.

I DID see a test of o2 sensors somewhere a while back(I wish I could still find it) where someone hooked up a scope to them and tested their responsiveness. The older o2 sensors definitely showed a different pattern than the new sensors.

Rein

Rein opined

They definitely slow up with age, but that largely depends on quality of the gas used, and a ton of other factors.

It's deposits on sense elements that cause the slowing.

Failure of "heater" element in the sensor is a whole different thing. May happen anytime

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic