The GTO; One good thing...

A collectable has been born. It's unlikely GM will keep making this model in it's current incarnation for another year.

Reply to
Richard

Despite the flame... :P

Everytime I see a Grand Prix/Grand AM (which ever one they're still making), I look and think to myself "Is that a GTO?".

The only way I can tell the difference between the two cars is if I see a GTO on the front grille or if I see Grand X on the rear bumper.

Did they mean for the GTO to be an upscale model of the Grand Whatever? Similar to the Trans-Am vs. Firebird thing?

I'm h> A collectable has been born. It's unlikely GM will keep making this

Reply to
Matt Kulka

Matt Kulka wrote in news:OKmdnYC-l_sCr6 snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

The GTO is the Holden from down under. I guess GM sort of had to blend it in so it fit into their current line-up, and the result is what you've seen.

Joe

But don't they have something like 4-5 similar cars already out? I remember an ad in one of the magazines that listed 3 Pontiacs, and they all looked very similar, the GTO being the top one.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Rich,

I guess we'll pick up tyhe discussion here, since the other thread was trashed.

GM is committed to the GTO. A next generation car is in the works for, I think, '06.

I still don't see your big objection. Yeah, it's a little heavy, but no worse than the late 60's GTOs. And this new one does everything better than all those old classic Goats. I just don't see the missing ingredient(s).

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Yep, and the Aussies know rear-wheel drive, V8, sedans. The GTO is base on the Holden Monaro which is a two-door version of the Holden Commodore and it's resemblance to the US Grand Prix or Grand Am is strictly superficial. Underneath it's superior to both those cars in terms of chassis, suspension, and engines, especially since it's always had a V8. The Holden Commodores and Monaros race against Ford Australia's Falcon (sporting the 5.4L, 4 cammer, V8 for several years now) in the Australian V8 Supercars series. The GA and GP cannot even be considered to be in the same class and could not compete in such an event.

Yeah, it looks like a GA or GP, but if you step up against a GTO (or a Holden Monaro) thinking it's a GP or GA, you'll get a rude shock :). Especially since Whipple is already getting ready to push out a Lysholm-based blower for the car ;).

I can't wait to meet one on the street :D.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

In a word, the missing ingredient is 'style'.

Joe

"Dan" wrote in news:NsvYc.80$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

And I can't wait to read the post after the meeting. Should be a very interesting match.

Joe

Every time a cop whips his head around and watches me drive by the more I think that is a good thing.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Joe,

I don't know about you, but I never considered our 5-liter LXs stylish cars. That's one of the big reason I liked them so much. I like a car that doesn't scream at you, a car that blends into the crowd until you stomp on the throttle. And that's why I like the GTO. I'll leave the boy-racer body styles to the young guys trying to impress the other boy-racers.

Patrick '93 Cobra (if only I could rip off its body kit and spoiler without killing its resale) '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Joe,

I don't know about you, but I never considered our 5-liter LXs stylish cars. That's one of the big reason I liked them so much. I like a car that doesn't scream at you, a car that blends into the crowd until you stomp on the throttle. And that's why I like the GTO. I'll leave the boy-racer body styles to the young guys trying to impress the other boy-racers.

Patrick '93 Cobra (if only I could rip off its body kit and spoiler without killing its resale) '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, you have a point, but I think it really pertains to when they were new. Now, Fox Mustangs simply exude style (imo, of course). There are so few of them now that the nice ones stick out beautifully on the road.

The current production GTO is just too humdrum. There's nothing about the exterior that makes me smile like I do when I see a nice Fox car. IOW, there's simply no _style_.

If I wanted a stealth racer, I'd get one of these:

and send it over here:

Joe

This is the pojnt I always try to make to the classic guys. When their cars were new they didn't look all that special either. It's only when you stop see them, or seeing them so much, that cars/styles seem so special. And just like it's starting to happen with the Fox cars, these new GTOs will catch your eye in about 20 years because everything on the road by then will undoubtedly look completely different. But I don't have to wait 20 years, I think the new GTOs look good now...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, I have to disagree with you. There's absolutely nothing about the current year GTO that will ever catch my eye, it's so blase. I think an '04 Chevy Malibu has more style than the GTO.

Joe

starting to happen with fox cars ? not really, they're pretty much gone and forgotten. Nothing will come even close to how popular the classic mustangs are. Couple years ago I heard that the number of classic mustangs on the road was INCREASING due to so many people restoring them. (I mean the

60's models)

The GTO will go into the same book as say the Ford Tempo.

Rein

Joe,

All V8-powered RWD American cars eventually look good.

Here are some examples:

- The early 90's Caprice. (I think that body style came out in '90). When I first saw it, I thought beached whale. Then the Impala SS debuted. And now even when I see the regular Caprices, especially the wagons, I like them.

- My daughter's '83 LTD. Back in the 80's, I thought those things were the plainest, ugliest cars on the road. Flash ahead 15 years or so, and suddenly they look kinda cool.

- Same story with the mid-80's Chevy Malibus.

- The 70's Mavericks.

Well, hopefully you get the idea. I'm telling you, in 15-20 years you'll be loving these new Goats.

Now just don't blow my theory apart by mentioning the AMC Pacer...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Recently saw some big discounts on GTO's recently. Something like $4,300 off sticker.

Martin

2002GT 5spd 243 rwhp 285 rwtq
Reply to
Martin

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, that's a dangerous statement.

I think the CV looks a helluva lot better than the old SS. I agree in that the Imp indeed does look like a beached whale. But I sort of still like the Roadmaster. Go figure.

Good point. But I think this has more to do with the fact that they're really Mustangs underneath. ;)

Ugh. No way.

Hey, I still like the Pinto. And the Vega was a good looking car as well. Of course, they'd have to have V8s transplanted in them..

In 15-20 years I'll probably be pushing up daisies. ;)

LOL! Gotta tell you, I'm pretty fond of the Gremlin. And the 2nd gen Corvair was one of the most stylish cars GM ever made. For real.

Joe