The Top-10 Summer Drives

Has anyone taken any of these drives?

  1. VIRGINIA My husband, Bronson, thinks I swear too much. That's why he presents me with a shellacked-cedar cuss bank at Luray Caverns in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. We can't resist the vivid green billboards announcing nature's hidden treasure at exit 264 off Interstate 81, which cuts through the fertile region that historians call the Breadbasket of the Confederacy.

  1. Kansas MILES: 100, DRIVING TIME: Half a day A virgin patch of wildflower-dotted prairie survives in a part of Kansas where rocky outcrops made plowing difficult. From I-70 in Manhattan, in the northeastern part of the state, head south on 177. At first, the road swerves around and over limestone bluffs, but when you reach El Dorado and I-35, you'll be on the plains. Fans of wide-open spaces shouldn't miss the more than 10,000 acres of undisturbed land at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve (620/273-8494;
    two miles north of Strong City.

  2. Iowa MILES: 120, DRIVING TIME: With twisting roads and lots of stops, give it a day. Rugged, hilly, and forested-that's why the northeastern edge of Iowa is nicknamed Little Switzerland. Start in Dubuque, where the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium (800/226-3369;
    has the world's largest steam towboat as well as five huge tanks that offer close encounters with denizens of the deep. Then head north, keeping the river on your right. Small roads take you past locks and dams, ferry landings, backwoods communities, and Pikes Peak State Park (563/873-2341;
    at
500 feet one of the highest points along the entire Mississippi River.

  1. Washington MILES: 85, DRIVING TIME: One day Island hopping makes this short trip deliciously slow. Take the ferry (888/808-7977;
    from Edmonds, north of Seattle, to Kingston; then follow 104 and U.S. 101 to Sequim, a lavender-growing center that's the sunniest spot in western Washington. Along the way, browse roadside farm stands for lavender products. Continue to Port Angeles, then hop the ferry to English-accented Victoria, British Columbia, for afternoon tea-or an overnight stay-at the Fairmont Empress (866/540-4429;
    tea from , doubles from 0).

  2. Utah MILES: 310, DRIVING TIME: Two days Allow yourself plenty of time for this ramble amid the russet gorges and spires of southern Utah. After leaving I-70 near Green River, drive southwest on 24 through Capitol Reef National Park, then south on 12. The road climbs 9,200 feet up Boulder Mountain en route to the multicolored badlands of Bryce Canyon National Park (435/834-5322;
    Spend the night at rustic Bryce Canyon Lodge (888/297-2757;
    doubles from 5), built in the 1920's of sandstone and ponderosa pine. The next day, continue south and west on U.S. 89 to 9, through Zion National Park, to I-15.

  1. Mississippi MILES: 210, DRIVING TIME: One day It's less than 250 miles from Memphis to Jackson, Mississippi, via U.S.

61 and U.S. 49, but plan for plenty of stops to savor the down-home cuisine of the Mississippi Delta. Unassuming eateries all along the route serve up barbecue, catfish, and the classic Southern meat-and-three supper; stop for lunch at the Blue & White Restaurant (1355 Hwy. 61 N., Tunica; 662/363-1371; lunch buffet for two $13). Stay at the sumptuous Alluvian Hotel (866/600-5201;
doubles from $175).

  1. Florida MILES: 200, DRIVING TIME: Two days U.S. 98, from south of Tallahassee, west to Pensacola, is the last long stretch of Florida coast where sea views are virtually uninterrupted by high-rises. Loop onto 30A to explore the New Urbanist prototype town of Seaside-an outdoor museum of great architecture and planning. Spend the night at the WaterColor Inn (866/426-2656;
    doubles from 5) and finish the drive in the morning.

  2. North Carolina MILES: 110, DRIVING TIME: One day Discover backwoods and sand hills on this trip through the North Carolina heartland. Head south from Greensboro on U.S. 220 until you reach the town of Ashgrove and scenic byway 705. It's 40 miles to Seagrove, a historic pottery-making community; there are still 80 working potteries to shop in. From there, take tiny 705, then go on 24 east to Fayetteville, past dreamy-sounding towns like Whispering Pines and Whynot.

  1. Michigan MILES: 125, DRIVING TIME: One day The western shore of Michigan has lighthouses and old beach towns, orchards and vineyards, dramatic bluffs with lake vistas. From Ludington (the terminus of a ferry from Wisconsin), go north on U.S. 31 to Manistee, where a logging boom left an exuberant Victorian architectural legacy. From there, follow 22 north along the shore. At Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (231/326-5134;
    one of the sand hills rises 460 feet above the lake; few can resist climbing the dunes for the views-and sliding down afterward.

  2. New York MILES: 45, DRIVING TIME: One day Luminous vistas of New York's Hudson River inspired a 19th-century school of painting and drew the era's gilderati to build palatial estates. How long you spend on the 45-mile drive north from Beacon to Hudson, via U.S. 9 and local 9G, depends on how many sites you tour. Highlights include the 54-room Neoclassical Vanderbilt mansion, FDR's Georgian-style Springwood, and painter Frederic Edwin Church's Persian fantasy Olana. Treat yourself to lunch at American Bounty Restaurant in Hyde Park (845/471-6608;
    lunch for two from ). Operated by the Culinary Institute of America, it specializes in local ingredients.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

#4 except the last leg to Victoria. Very good, but there are better in the NW. I like the costal route from WA down through OR and CA across the Golden Gate Bridge, to Monterey region better. (this is the part of the country where I live)

#7 went to HS >Has anyone taken any of these drives?

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

I've done No 5 in Utah. Of course I was in a truck and camper, towing a bunch of dirt bikes on a trailer. We found some dirt fire roads up on Boulder mountain that were heavenly.

The scenery through there cannot be exceeded.

Check out

for a motorcyclists view of some great California roads. I have driven several of these roads in a Sunbeam Tiger and they are just as much fun on 4 wheels as two.

Just one more week till I am on Hwy1 to Monterey for the Historic races. YeeeeHaw! Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

My neck of the woods. I even do some service work at the Culinary. Just across the river is West Point which is full of beautiful twisty turny roads that run up and down the Hudson River as well as other attractions.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

I have done this one quite a few times. In fact, two weeks ago I took my niece and nephew to Luray Caverns. The best time to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, IMO, is in the fall when the leaves are turning. The air is also a bit clearer that time of the year.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I've done #4 before. Usually I only go as far as Hansville (outside of Kingston) where my great uncle lives, but I've done the whole trip to Victoria via the Port Angeles Blackball ferry twice, courtesy of high-school marching band trips. Honestly, any destination on the peninsula makes for a great drive. I'm especially fond of WA-3 just after sunrise.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Reply to
Brian from Home

But we're not in Kansas anymore.... Don't you remember clicking the heels? How is Toto by the way.... : )

You reminded me of a drive through North Dakota, going west to a place called Cavalier. There were the lights of town. And we drove and we drove and we drove and they didn't seem to get any closer. Then we come to a 90 degree left turn and suddenly find ourselves in the middle of town, wondering if there was another intersection somewhere.

There are some fantastic drives up >All replys missed the most efficient "scenery gathering drive": One minute

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad shat fools these morons be....

Reply to
Spike

I prefer going into Tsawassen, BC and taking the Canadian ferry. They're nicer than the US ferries, usually. I've never taken the Port Angeles ferry though. I have went from Anacortes.

There's also the San Juan Islands from Anacortes. My wife took me to Rosario Resort for my last birthday.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

The spicey food will be next door in Louisiana :op and this years hurricane season, even though starting out kind of fierce has blurbbled down to not a lot of activity lately. Although I would still recomend late October or November if you don't have A/C.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Speak softly... the season isn't over yet... there's still another month plus at least...

crawdads boiled in Tabasco : 0 P oysters, and a bowl of gumbo with a loaf of French bread to sop it all up.... Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

We used to run up to BC (with a couple of empty bottles of Crown with WA stamps). Stay in a suite ($75) at the Ritz, and go across the way to a place called Oil Can Harry's (which probably doesn't exist anymore). Do all our drinking there, and fill up the empties before heading home. A bottle at home was about 16 bucks, and we could get 40 oz in BC for $5.00. Ah, to be young and stupid again. : 0 )

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

That was a long time ago. (Late '60's early '70's?). I'm certain the Oil Can Harry's is no more. Don't recall Crown Royal being $5.00 for 40 oz but I do recall the 25 cent glass of beer.

Reply to
Richard