Transmission cooler

'99 v6 auto vert

I'm thinking I need an auxiliary transmission cooler for a yet-to-be-named venture, which could consist of the 'stang and I re-locating cross-country. I would need to pull a small trailer with me. Either a 4x8 or the "sport" tiny trailer.

I know the auto parts stores sell the coolers for about $60. I had one on my '76 Aspen and I was pleased with the quality. I've been told I should not install one over the AC condenser on the outside of the radiator. Can I install it on the inside (motor side) of the radiator?

I recall that the one I previously installed was put on with long, plastic rods that slipped a cap over the pointy end, similar to a zip-tie. Will this hurt my AC condenser?

I'm concerned that, coupled with the AC condenser, it will block radiator flow. Would it be best on the lower-passenger, lower-driver, or lower-center portion?

The idea here is to extend transmission life as much as possible. Does the aux cooler help THAT much?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

There are a few brands that have 12V electric fans built into them You can mount them horizontally if necessary. It will pull the air through the cooler just like the fan on the radiator. Makes it easier to keep it out of the airflow into either the condenser and the radiator. They are however much more expensive than the standard type.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

It helps a lot... on any vehicle. Other than numpty engineering designs like putting alum shift accum in instead of steel, the WORST enemy of a trans is heat.

Go to NAPA... much is made of plate type coolers being better but the traditional design works fine for the average application, like yours. Remember to install it so that fluid goes through it AFTER the RAdiator internal cooler.

It may somewhat affect the A/C but not much.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

IF the tow is a one time thing, why not rent a van/truck to put your stuff in and tow the mustang behind it ? Lot easier

Reply to
RT

the trailer is $200, the truck rental is $2000. For the price of the truck rental, I could just replace the trans in my car when I get there.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Many factory installations place the trans cooler in front, then the A/C, then radiator. My Dodge is that way.

Reply to
.boB

My 1994 5.7 K1500 Silverado has the tranny cooler mounted in front of condenser then radiator.This is a factory install.The air hits the Tranny Cooler first.I tow and have 150,000 miles on my Tranny no slippage,banging,still nice smooth shifting.

I had a Ford Expeditionwith no Tranny Cooler.I towed the same with this as the Truck.Tranny was rebuilt at 78,000 miles and again at 134,000. I am sure if I had a TrannyCooler it would of lasted longer(HEAT KILLS)

Doug

P.S. Did not mean to insult using my Chevy as an example.Also have a 1994 Mustang GT.Like new.

Reply to
Doug