replaced header gasket 86 stang but it still is not right!

I have a 1986 Mustang GT that I thought had a bad header gasket! It makes a loud noise and you can feel the pulsating air being blown out around the second tube on the passenger side. I inspected the header when I had it off and it seemed to be OK. Is there anything else that I can do or check?

My bolts are tights, new gasket, and the problem still sounds the same (very loud) and the air blows out the same!

Thanks in advance Frank

Reply to
Frank

You could try coating the area with that high-temp RTV, the red kind that works on exhaust manifolds and the like. It should eventually blow out where the problem is. Since it's RTV you'll be able to remove it afterwards and it shouldn't do any damage. Just an idea...

Reply to
Brent P

sounds like the head or header is warped. Did you check the header for warpage? (is 'warpage' that even a word??)

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I would doubt that the head is warped to the point of not sealing a header flange correctly.

I have seen 2-3 sets of headers with warped flanges. I would suggest removing the header and placing a straight edge along the flange surface (or surfaces if there are seperate flanges for each header tube) to see if they are straight.

if you have a warped header flange you can straighten it to some degree with good ol brute force. Heat might so the trick too but I've never had to go that far.

Carl wrote:

Reply to
cprice