Urgent: Car studder

I cleaned out all of the igntion wires that go to the ignition modules.. and I cleaned the ignition module connecting parts where the wires plug into. I changed the spark plugs (NGK Iridium). The studder is still there. Studder on acceleration that is. Please advise. Thanks.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
Reply to
<memset

opined in news:Wb8sd.36742$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

No codes?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Nope. No codes..

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Tell me this... how does it run with the Motorcraft double plats it was designed with/for?

You know, a lot of earlier fords did not take well to the Bosch Plats when they came out. My SVO would start to have a no-load miss after using them about a week.

Dont discount this weird effect.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

What Transmission do you have?

BTW, it's either shudder or stutter...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

A bit both both?? LOL sorry.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset
*cry* I _had_ NGK Iridium plugs in it... I put in Bosch double plat. plugs in b/c the O'Reilly sales droid recommended them. I also put dielectric grease (aka spark plug boot grease??) in the boots on the driver's side 4 boots (experimenting). Should I clean that crap out of the boots as best as I can??

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

I replaced the plugs with Ford Motorcraft OEM plugs (plat's)... stutter is still there. Not as bad, but still there. I'm thinking the di-electric grease screwed things... but I don't know, since the stutter was there before the di-electric grease. Is there really any advantage to using MSD ignition products over the stock versions?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Does anybody have any ideas? Please advise. I know everybody is busy around the holidays... but I could really use some help =(. Thanks.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

First thing I would do is un-install the last thing you installed just before the studder arrived (if applicable)....well I guess the mufflers would be tough...but didn't you say something about installing new plug wires? Bad plug wires can really show up under load...i.e. acceleration. It's plausible that new parts can be defective.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

It did it before I swapped mufflers (which I welded on... so yeah, would be a little tough. I could temporarily disconnect them at the H-pipe, but then I'd hafta take off the hanger I welded on.. not fun.. so nevermind.

The ignition wires I replaced about 20k miles ago. I noticed that the inside of the plug holes are a bit dirty.. as in dirt contamination. I see a thing on eBay that has MSD Ignition wires, tach driver, and 2 coil packs all in 1 auction that I may snag. Replace it all & see what happens... but what can I use to clean out the plug holes? Also, what can I use to clean out the spark plug boots? Thanks.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Ok..20k miles on the wires...I guess they weren't a recent replace as I thought. Still, with all the plug changes you've done some damage may have occurred....something to check with an ohm meter. I keep coming back to the wires because a friend's car stumbled and hesitated bad (while driving) with anything more than 1/4 throttle and it was fixed with new wires. But it sounds like you may be replacing them anyway.

As far as cleaning out the plug holes...carb cleaner (if it's greasy) and/or compressed air (and some rags to keep the splatter down). Similar procedure for the plug boots...contact cleaner might be better for the boots. I know brake cleaner is essentially the same as contact cleaner, but it's a stronger mix and may harm plastics or rubber.

BTW, my '97 service manual recommends to "coat the entire interior surface of the boot with Silicone Dielectric Compound"

Buena suerte.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

I'm *probably* gonna replace all of the ignition wires. Is there any advantage to using MSD ignition components? I'll test the wires first of course. I just hafta dig up my multimeter. Thanks.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

I'm sure the MSD people would say there is. I have a Ford Motorsport SVO ignition in my '65 which was made by MSD. Even though it's very different beast, at one time Ford saw some advantage to it.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

I know you have probabaly already made sure, but just because it came into my head. Make sure that the contacts inside the boots have not slipped up so far that they are not making proper connection with the plugs, and that they are snapped onto the plugs good and firm.

Like I said, I know you already did this....

Kate

| >The ignition wires I replaced about 20k miles ago. I noticed that the inside | >of the plug holes are a bit dirty.. as in dirt contamination. I see a thing | >on eBay that has MSD Ignition wires, tach driver, and 2 coil packs all in

1 | >auction that I may snag. Replace it all & see what happens... but what can I | >use to clean out the plug holes? Also, what can I use to clean out the spark | >plug boots? Thanks. | >

| >-Mike | | Ok..20k miles on the wires...I guess they weren't a recent replace as | I thought. Still, with all the plug changes you've done some damage | may have occurred....something to check with an ohm meter. | I keep coming back to the wires because a friend's car stumbled and | hesitated bad (while driving) with anything more than 1/4 throttle and | it was fixed with new wires. | But it sounds like you may be replacing them anyway. | | As far as cleaning out the plug holes...carb cleaner (if it's greasy) | and/or compressed air (and some rags to keep the splatter down). | Similar procedure for the plug boots...contact cleaner might be better | for the boots. I know brake cleaner is essentially the same as | contact cleaner, but it's a stronger mix and may harm plastics or | rubber. | | BTW, my '97 service manual recommends to "coat the entire interior | surface of the boot with Silicone Dielectric Compound" | | Buena suerte. | | DP | Pics of the cars: |

SVTKate

I didn't do that... I didn't even know they could move! I did force the plugs to seat sometimes... and I think I may have pushed them upward.. damn, Kate.. if you're right... imma be so pissed & so happy at the same time. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks.