Vette May Go To A Turbo V8

What goes under the hood of the Vette generally finds its way to the Camaro. So could a turbo motor find a home in the Mustang?

GM is setting its sights on European buyers with the next-generation Chevy Corvette. GM's Mark Reuss has also already stated that the next Corvette will be "completely different." We've heard so many rumors about what could be in planned for the next Corvette, including a mid- engined layout and a split rear window.

The Corvette has always been about large V8s, but according to The Detroit Bureau, GM may also be working on a small turbocharged V8 engine that would appeal to European sports car buyers. If the reports are true, GM has approved the use of a small V8 that is slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement and will be of an overhead-cam with a dry sump oil system. The small turbocharged V8 is expected to put out over 400 horsepower and could have a red line near 10,000 rpms.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

NoOp wrote in news:c434156c-9814-468a-a62b- snipped-for-privacy@32g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

Are they planning on dropping the weight of the Camaro? I can just see an engine that small in a 4000lb car.

Reply to
Rich

why use a turbo? use a supercharger, simpler + more reliable

Reply to
huhie

"huhie" wrote in news:is0ll8$mgn$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Trying to appeal to the "Tuner" crowd? Maybe it comes with stickers?

Reply to
Rich

Turbos don't have a constant parasitic drag on the engine like S/Cs do, so they should be more fuel efficient.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Thus spake NoOp :

The turbo's main issue is lag. But you're average Vette street jockey isn't going to care. Most will only be using it for that kind of punch past half throttle.

Alpha Romeo "fixed" the lag problem many years ago by using two turbos, a small one and a big one. There was some sort of mechanisiam between the two to control how they worked. I think they were in series. Can't remember, that was way, way too long ago. I'll try to find it.

Parasitic drag of a supercharger? Well, it's claimed that at the top end, at Dodge Hemi (which means what?) doesn't have the umph to spin the 14-71 on a Top Fueler. Austin Coil once said it cost them 8 or 9% at the top end, but that a turbo would never give them the 60 ft numbers that win a race (assuming the motor is still running at 61 ft)

Reply to
Dillon Pyron