top gear +V8

Just seen in the paper on Top Gear tonight Richard Hammond has a piece about the Rover V8. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Top Gear

Motoring magazine. Jeremy Clarkson tests the new Ford GT, Richard Hammond says goodbye to a motoring icon - the Rover V8, and James May reviews the Maserati Quattroporte. This week's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car is Martin Clunes.

Reply to
Jon

There's supposed to be a piece on a Rover V8 on discovery channel 20th July, if anyone tapes it I'd like a copy as it was once mine, one day I'll get paid for it :-(.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I'm watching Fred Dibnah...

Anyone ever fitted a steam engine to a Land Rover.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I worked for Henlys in the 70's - Series lla time - and the diesels would have benefited from a half decent stesm emgine.

John

Reply to
John Moppett

Bu@@er, It was pants! I hope the Discovery channel one is better!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

I've seen a sort of heathrobinson steam affair, mostly constructed out of bits left over from other steam engines, which definitly used series axles. About the only landrover bit in it though, and the front one had no diff.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

watched Top gear last night........

RIP the Rover V8, I never knew how many guises and different vehicles it was fitted into!!!!!

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

Yes, and they really ought to have put in a well-restored 101 with all the glossy on-road stuff.

Reply to
David G. Bell

"Alun P"

I must admit I'd never heard of it in a Sherpa van. What a thirsty beast that must have been.

Talking of silly TV programmes, did anyone see "world's craziest celebrity car chases from hell" or whatever on Men and Motors the other night (the one hosted by sheriff John Benell, he of the permatan and brilliant teeth)? There was a freeway chase involving a white classic Rangie (or sixty-two thousand dollar SUV, according to JB). Both front tyres blew, the rubber was ripped off the rims, the rims (alloy) disintegrated and the car was running at up to about 80 on two rear tyres and the front hubs, for what looked like a long time. The driver was still able to steer after a fashion. It only ended when he ran into some loose stuff off the carriageway and with about half an inch ground clearance he crunched to a halt. "A tribute to the doorability of this foreign SUV!" Brought tears to my eyes.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Yep, that has probably done more for sales in that part of the world than any ammount of advertising ever could! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

ISTR that the SPG of the Met Police had a few of those.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

And quite a few ambulances.

Was anything said about what V8 will be in the US market new discovery?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

In message , Richard Brookman writes

I am a retired ambulance technician (27yrs) with Greater Manchester, we used to have the v8 sherpa's. It did 6mpg but you knew where it was going!! On Saturday nights you'd get the idiots out cruising and you would leave them for 'dead' so to speak. You could out accelerate a Golf GTi from a standing start and their faces would be a picture. I was clocked on the M6 at 122.7mph. The only problem at speeds above

50mph was stopping the f*****g things.
Reply to
Graham Jones

In message , snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com writes

I heard a while back from a L/R roaming service engineer that they were testing a Detroit diesel.

Reply to
Graham Jones

A while back I saw a twin wheel sherpa tipper pickup thing with a v8 in.

-- Jon

Reply to
Jon

On Discovery Home and Leisure tomorrow evening Mark Evans builds an off roader out of an old Range Rover Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's the one, now will anyone tape it for me?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

There's a chap I've seen at Nick Kerner Land Rover with a VW van with a

4.6V8. He claims it's good for 115mph+. It sounds quite unusual without that good old air-cooled clatter.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around 19 Jul 2004 05:34:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Richard Brookman) enlightened us thusly:

dibbles and ambulances.

I liked young whassisface racing the SD1 on standard suspenion. He was seriously pushing it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles