Pertronix Ignition Question - My 66 Mustang

Hi there,

About a month ago I had the Pertronix installed in my 1966 200 CID Coupe. Everything was ok with with it. Last week I decided to buy the matching coil (I was using the stock Ford coil).

I noticed that Pertronix says that their 1.5 OHM coil can be used for 8 cyl cars OR 6 cyl cars in racing applications. Pertronix says also that the 3.0 OHM coils are for use in 6 cyl cars for normal applications.

The guy in the store only had the 1.5 Ohm coil in stock and said that even though I do not use my 6 cyl in racing applications that it is ok to install it. He proved his point by vomitting a whole bunch of technical talk beyond my level of comprehension. Anyway I ended up buying the 1.5 ohm coil. I do not notice any drawback in my car's performance.

Did the guy feed me a line? Should I have bought a 3.0 ohm coil? Am I hurting my car with a 1.5 ohm coil?

Thanks!

Reply to
F.M.S.

Should not be a problem - just a little more drain on the car's electrical system - probably not noticeable, and maybe a little more heat in the coil which won't be a problem if the coil is well constructed.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

My is that your odds of burning out the Pertronix unit are greater with the 1.5 ohm coil over the 3 ohm coil. It may never happen, but the odds are that your unit will not last as long with the 1.5 ohm coil, especially since the dwell is slightly higher with a six cylinder verses an eight cylinder. If it makes you feel better, buy the 3 ohm coil. Pertronix recommends it for a reason.

Reply to
Kruse