weird set timing on 5.0

hey guys...I was wondering if anyone could understand this problem...I am working on making the 5.0 run better in my 88 LX. I was noticing one day though, the distributor is pointing almost at a 90 degree angle to the fender. Most I have seen point towards the rad and a little more to the front drivers headlight. So I start playing with the car and I put the engine to TDC as per the crankshaft pulley (0 degrees).

When I took off the dist. to check where the rotor was it was pointing almost 180 degrees of where #1 piston says it should fire!!! I took out the dist. and set it to have the rotor point at number #1 piston on the distributor cap...it wouldn't start and a little backfire happened...so I set the dist. back to the way it was previously, set timing back to 10 degrees BTDC and car started.

Now I am a knowledgeable guy when it comes to cars so I think it is one of these things. BTW, I checked the wires on the dist. and they are in correct firing order for engine....

  1. different cam-does anyone know of any cam swaps that will cause the dist. to be like this?? (not quite 180 dgrees off but almost)

  1. timing gears are jumped-but why would it run still?? (puzzled!!)

  2. someone put in the cam upside down (timing mark on top of cam gear instead of bottom)-would the car still run somewhat ok here?? I hope no one was this stupid becuase they shouldn't be working on engines then...

I am puzzled over this and most things I look at relating to somewhat of topics say nothing about this. Anyone got any ideas here??? or somewhere to start?? I am going to pull the cover and check the gears but it is getting winter here and time to almost put 'er away...

Reply to
timbit_50LX

If we remember that the camshaft (as well as the distributor) rotate at half crankshaft speed, it becomes clearer. Also, realize that the timing pointer only points to #1 TDC only every second revolution of the crank.

The distributor points wonky in the car simply because somewhere along the line, someone lacked real understanding of what can happen when re-installing the distributor. Cam (and therefore crank) position, distributor bowl orientation, rotor orientation and the assignment of plug wires to distributor posts can be changed to have the distributor bowl point just about anywhere you want it.

There is no cam installation that can have the distributor looking less than stock in position... however, there are multiple installer oversights that can create havoc.

Reply to
Jim Warman

OMG....I can't beleive I never thought of that..slipped my mind..of course the cam rotates once to every cranks twice...so there is my first problem solved...second problem now I guess i have to just put the distributor a tooth or two ahead to see if someone did obviously install it wrong...mabye that is all it is...thanks alot!!

Reply to
timbit_50LX

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to
TurboMike

Remember to pull the SPOUT connector to time it. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet