What happened to the Mustang-R's?

Apparently they are no longer homologated through the dealer network. You just buy them directly from FRPP.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

The last R built was the 2000 R.

Personally I'm glad they quit building them. The were way over-priced, super-low edition models. Cars only collectors bought so you never saw them on the street.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

I saw a 2000 R on the street not long after they came out.

Ford has been interested in 'exclusivity' and instant collectables for many may years now.

Reply to
Brent

Some of the people that BOUGHT them, yes, but Ford? How much money did they make off of these 200 or so cars? Really. The idea was for certifiable racers to purchase the Rs and race them. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. My Brother had a neighbor with one and it was a street/track car that he auto-x and road-raced.

Now Shelby, that's a different story, try to get a new GT350 making blue collar wages.

Reply to
GILL

NoOp wrote in news:de6d71f8-fa5f-4dc4-ba3f- snipped-for-privacy@i28g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

One of the cars on that page, the Mustang Boss 302R I saw for sale in a company parking lot in Toronto. I didn't think there was any Boss available. But according to the page, they are basically for racing.

Reply to
Rich

GILL wrote in news:i1r4od$8aj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

That's where muscle cars from 1970 and now differ. In 1970, you could spend $5500 or so on a Shelby and that was a lot of money for a car. But you could also buy a 289 Mustang or 340 Dart for about $2700. Now, there are no 289's and no Darts.

Reply to
Rich

Yeah, the safety requirements nowadays kind of dashed those. You just can't hose the blood from the dash after a crash anymore.

Reply to
GILL

GILL wrote in news:i1sjj4$fmg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

But at least I could SEE the instrument panel in my 1988 LX 5.0 clearly, I didn't have try and look past a lumpen airbag container on the steering wheel.

Reply to
Rich