Cleaning Cylinders...what's the best way?

Hey all:)

Finally got frustrated with a rusted bolt that was preventing me from getting the cylinder heads off so I cut the damn thing:) Cleaned the pistons and am now cleaning the cylinders (and soon the cylinder heads)...what is the best way to clean them? A little sandblasting cabinet (careful not to get any inside the cylinder of course:), some mystery solvent that works wonders? Any help would be appreciated:)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Winchell

Unless these are the special gold-plated cylinders, toss 'em and get a new set complete with rings and pistons. IMHO it's just not worth all the labor of a teardown to put the worn parts back in.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:42:56 -0400, Speedy Jim scribbled this interesting note:

And search out and read the how to one installing new pistons and cylinders written by Bob Hoover.

John Willis

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:42:56 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

I'm with Jim on this one....as usual his advice is dead on... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 03:33:47 GMT, "Neil Winchell" ran around screaming and yelling:

i will post you a pic tomorrow of what happens when a part "looks good", and you go with that assumption...it is much worse than what you will probably experience with pistons/rings/cylinders of questionable wear....

Neil, we all are/have been in your situation...first and foremost invest in a good repair manual...Bently, haynes, etc....there will be specs listed for wear limits in those manuals....you will need tools you may or may not have to measure the parts..(calipers, bore guages,etc)...after you determine them to be good or bad then you will know which way to go.....OR...you can say screw it, hope for the best and squirt some degreaser on the cylinders then scrub em with a wirebrush....rinse, dry, lubricate and throw the sucker back together... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Toss 'em?! Are you nuts and/or rich?:) There is little wear in the cylinders and the pistons look good too, plus the whole reason I bought the engine in the first place was to tear it apart and put it back together again (so it would run of course) I simply do NOT have the money to get new cylinders and pistons (we are talking over a hundred bucks right?). If in the future I want to go the 'new parts' route then I will, but for now my money situation is dire...as in I have none:( If anyone of you wants to buy me the new pistons and cylinders though that's a different story. Email me and I'll give you my mailing address:)

So, any non-purchasing solution to cleaning cylinders?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Winchell

There is spray stuff for removing carbon from the combustion chamber and is usually just called COMBUSTION CHAMBER CLEANER... good for helping to clean out your blocked heat riser tube too!

Gotta be about the best suggestion for a good deep cleaning of those surfaces.

Reply to
Red Bug

You sure don't want to sand blast them with sand! The heads need to be degreased with spray degreaser and high pressure water or hot tanked. The best to have an engine machinist check the guides for wear, the seats/heads for cracking, place at least exhaust valves then regrind/lap all valves. The pisons can be scraped with a putty knife and degreaser. The cyclinders need to be checked for roundness then the ridge removed (if one is there then best to just trash them and the pistons) then use tool to but the swirl/crosshatching back on the cylinders --- new rings properly gapped and positioned.

Reply to
Wolfgang