Where's a flat spot on a 01 Dash?

Santa dropped off a satellite radio the other day. Anyone have any ideas on a mounting location? The suction cup thingy that came with it will apparently only stick to the windshield, which looks stupid, in addition to making the radio sit on top of the dash and yell to the world "steal me!" (It's got a docking station, but that still leaves a bulky sign that there's something inside the car)

Right now I'm thinking a strip of the supposedly "industrial strength" velcro might do the trick. Any ideas or experiences out there?

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

I have the Sirius Starmate Replay and a 2002 GT Vert. I used velcro and attached it to the dash, just under the oil gauge. That spot was about the size of the unit and it works great there. The only place I could find to mount the antenna was the black metal strip that surrounds the cabin of the car, on the outside. I get pretty good reception just about everywhere except heavily wooded areas.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

Reply to
Cobra Boy

Right now I'm impressed with the music selection, whether or not it's worth the $$$ after the novelty wears off remains to be seen.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

same radio here! I'm about to go to lunch....will take a look at that spot and see. I've got the antenna mounted on the bar across the top of the windshield, as far right as it would go....it stayed in place on I-20 this morning. The half-assed install I've got now has feet and feet of wires hanging on the dash, I need to go loosen some panels and start tucking in.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert A. Plourde Jr." Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:32 AM Subject: Re: Where's a flat spot on a 01 Dash?

Reply to
wabbitslayer

The bar across the top of the windshield is metal, yes? I am pretty sure it is. That should work. You can just see the display with the steering wheel level and tuck the wires behind the dash, all nice nice.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

I have Sirius too. It came with the system in my Jeep. I like it but trust me it isn't commercial free. They yap all the time about their service, their OWN commercials. AND You cannot get any of the entertainment channels online, just the music. They offer it to registered users bu tnot the whole service.

It works great until you pull under an overpass at a light or put her in the garage and the music selection IS wonderful, I just happen to be hooked on Radio Classics.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Yes, I second the fact that it is NOT commercial free, by any means. They yap all the time about pushing their service. It gets sickening sometimes but not enough to have to change the station. The one think I like over regular radio is, I can always find a terrific song playing on one of the channels.

Anytime you are under an overpass or in the garage, no signal. Funny thing is that, at the local mall, which has a parking garage, I get signal the whole time I am in there?!?! I figure, they must have a terrestrial signal nearby. I think I can check that, right? I seem to remember some signal strength meter on the system.

Some of the channels I listen to are:

1 - Sirius Hits 1 ( I don't like this channel but the kids always want to listen to it ) 7 - Totally 70's 9 - The Pulse 12 - Super Shuffle 14 - Clasic Vinyl 15 - Classic Rewind 16 - The Vault

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

"Robert A. Plourde Jr." wrote : : Some of the channels I listen to are: : : 1 - Sirius Hits 1 ( I don't like this channel but the kids always want to : listen to it ) : 7 - Totally 70's : 9 - The Pulse : 12 - Super Shuffle : 14 - Clasic Vinyl : 15 - Classic Rewind : 16 - The Vault

It DOES offer something for everyone! I like

1: 118 Radio Classics 12: Super Shuffle 60: New Country 61 Prime Country 71 Jazz Cafe 73 Spa Sometimes I wander through the rock stations or the oldies but not enough to know which they are. Rock just isn't the same unless you can listen to it fast and topless.

Like you, I think it's great to be able to find something any time I want it.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

So drop yer top.

Reply to
Zombywoof

"Zombywoof" wrote

-snip- : >Rock just isn't the same unless you can listen to it fast and topless. : >

: So drop yer top.

The best I can do now isopen it, I cant take it off.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

That must piss the hubby off :-P

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

I have no problem finding a song I like either, I just pop in a disc when i want music. I listen to a local sports channel on the radio and that's about it for the radio. I get tired flipping from one commercial to another with the promise of 40 minutes of commercial free music coming right up after these few breif words from our sponsors. lol So I listen to alot of discs, or I turn it off and listen to my little baby purr. Cobraboy '98 convert.

Reply to
Cobra Boy

...there are other channels besides Hair Nation? Interesting...veddy interesting. Actually, I was scrolling through stations at lunch and ran across a Sam Kinison bit on Raw Dog....made my day.

Wabbitslayer

01 GT vert
Reply to
wabbitslayer

I know what you mean. My radio almost never wanders from that station even when I'm at home. Great variety and not too much in the way of idiotic chatter. The pop stations are the worst for that.

Anyway, to answer the orginal OP: For my saturn, I made a custom bracket out of 3" wide 1/8th steel from the local hardware store. I started out cutting paper into the shape I wanted to get a good fit. I then used the paper as a template and cut out a flat piece using an angle grinder. Drilled some holes for the mounts, bent it in a vice to match the bends in the paper, and finished it off in flat black spray paint. Looks professional and you get to mount it anywhere you like in the vehicle. Total time for the bracket I made was about 5 hours plus a couple of trips to the hardware store.

I haven't figured out what to do for the mustang, but I'll come up with something eventually that doesn't involve making holes willy nilly in the interior like I did with the saturn. One approach I may use is to buy a replacement panel for the center console and make my holes in that instead. At least I can then put the original panel back when/if I ever decide to get rid of the satellite radio.

Reply to
drsmith

Since mine is built in to my vehicle, I am not sure how badly one needs a mounting bracket for these things but a thought occurs to me. Why not adhesive backed velcro????

No damage, and you can remove it when you need to.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

No damage...except that adhesives tend to get very permanent after a couple of years in a hot car. You could then possibly try removing the residue with some sort of solvent, but unless you know exactly what materials are involved, the solvents can do more damage than good. For me, I'd just plan on replacing whatever I stuck it to(via adhesives, fasteners, or whatever).

Otherwise, velcro is a potential solution. I skipped the velcro route in the saturn because the location in which I wanted to put the radio wouldn't have been possible with velcro. I wanted it next to the cd player/am/fm, and there just aren't any flat, open surfaces near there. In the mustang, it's pretty much the same situation from what I can see. The best alternate location is between the air vents, but that's also very high-up on the dash. Better would be to see if it's possible to put it near the ignition switch so you could read the display through the steering wheel, but that only works if you have one of the smaller units - like the starmate replay.

Reply to
drsmith