Why nitrous? Why not a liquid to ad to gas tank?

Is there no additive they could develop to achieve a similar effect to nitrous that could be added to the gasoline itself as a liquid? How about pure hydrogen peroxide? :)

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

You wouldn't want to mix it with the gas. H2O2 is unstable and would probably start to break down in the gasoline. When it degrades it releases energy, and that's sounds dangerous to me.

Folks have already tried H2O2/alcohol injection in the intake tract, like N2O. It works but you wind up getting a ton of extra heat in the motor. The alcohol and water vapor from the H2O2 decomposition increase the effective octane of the mixture so that detonation is avoided, however there's still some efficiency loss from the extra energy.

N2O is inert and simple and reduces the intake air temp significantly. It doesn't react with anything but the heat already generated by the motor and the N buffers the combustion providing an effective octane increase. It's cheap and readily available and the delivery system doesn't require anything else but a fuel feed.

Reply to
Dan

Nitromethane, or "top fuel", is somewhat like gasoline with "built in" nitrous. One problem with that approach is you don't get to turn it off. You're basically running your engine on dynamite all the time. Generate lots of heat and energy. But anyway the short answer is it's been done. Like anything, it has its limits.

Reply to
Joe

You might want to research hydrogen peroxide.... the stuff you get at the drugstore is about a 7 or 9 percent solution..... Industrial hydrogen peroxide is about 21% and is bad kharma...... Go here

and click on "GuideNumber" and scroll down to Guide 143. The beauty of a nitrous shot is that you can add it when needed.... anything that you add to your gas will be there all the time (if you need more power at part throttle, all you need to do is push harder on the pedal).

Jim Warman

At work we buy 40% hydrogen peroxide by the tanker load. You could spit in it and blow yourself to the next county. It'll decompose if it gets contaminated, so you can't mix strong peroxide solutions with anything, flammable or not, until you want the bomb to go off. It has to be fed, so it would be just like another version of nitrous, really. Weren't the German V2 rockets powered by hydrogen peroxide and some fuel? Don't remember the fuel. Mix 'em together, and.... Whooosh.

Anyway, nitromethane is a better "for instance".

Reply to
Joe

Yes, I do believe that the V2 and the early German jets were peroxide driven.

There were many terrible accidents with this stuff. It resulted in several burned-off vonschtuckers.

How about Bacardi 151?

Bob '03 Cobra coupe

Reply to
Bob

When I was a wee lad I had an inordinate amount interest in of things that didn't touch the ground when they were working. IIRC, the V2s and the Me whatevers were powered by P stopf and F stopf.... one of them was hydrogen peroxide and the other was just as attractive (both weren't conducive to longevity... might have been liquid hydrogen)....

Ewwwww.... reminds me that some folks think propane makes a good replacement for freon......

Reply to
Jim Warman

H2O2 in a purer state is inherntly dangerous..noo..I mean DANGEROUS stuff to deal with. You need to wear chemical suits to handle it, and if it comes in contact with your skin it basically spontaniously combusts. Imagine that with gasoline. If you do that please make me the beneficiary of your life insurance.

Nitromethane basically does what nitrous does but a better job but only mixes with alcohol. I dont think it is gasoline soluable. Makes tons of horsepower but you have to burn tons of it to make the horsepower. You have to burn 2X the alcohol to get the HP you get from gas.

I think the top fuel monsters use like 8 gallons in a quarter mile... think about it.. 8 gallons in about 4.5 seconds..

Anyway, nitrous is safe, makes good HP and can be good fun if you get the stuff without the stinky additive in it ;-)

Have fun, be safe.

Bdd

Reply to
BrettDD

I like an alcohol that needs a flammable label. ;-) I'd rather not dump it in my car though. You think gasoline is expensive....

JS

Reply to
JS