Will new heads cure blue smoke on startup?

When I start my engine cold, there's no smoke. But if it's warm and has been shut off for a short time (say less than 1 hour), I get a puff of blue smoke at startup. My research indicates that this is valve guides or valve seals.

Rather than pay someone to pull the heads and replace the guides and seals, I'm thinking of just buying a set of GT40P heads and some GT40P-specific headers. I assume this would cure my blue smoke issue and might also give me a few (~25) hp as a bonus?

Thanks, John V.

93 GT
Reply to
John Vannoy

Another option is to replace the seals without pulling the heads... you put compressed air into the sparkplug hole, and it holds the valves up while you take the keepers / springs / seals off, and put them back on..

But it sounds like you are looking for a reason to buy new heads anyway :)

Be aware though.. Often times when you freshen up the top end of a motor with new / better heads, intake, etc... the still old bottom end will let loose !

Depends on the condition / mileage of the motor, and how you plan on driving it !

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

If you get new heads you might as well overhaul or rebuild the motor. If the seals/guides are worn there a very good chance the rings are worn. If it still runs good, go for replacing the seals only like Wiggum said.

Reply to
Mark

It runs great except the little puff of smoke. The previous owner had a full rebuild shortly before I bought it (he paid like 2200); it's got about 40k since the rebuild. Not sure why I'd get blue smoke after only 40k.

John

Reply to
John Vannoy

Like you said, the valve stem/seals. Worth taking a look at. Maybe someone forgot to install one or one's faulty. Gently poke them with a small screwdriver. Rubber umbrella seals should still be be pliable after 40K miles.

Reply to
Mark