blue smoke on startup under 70,000 miles

I purchased a '97 S90 with just under 70,000 miles that emits a puff of blue smoke when first started. It also uses (not leaks) at least 1 qt of oil in

1000 miles. This is low mileage for using this much oil consumption. When I open it up, what might I look for beside worn valve stem seals? Thx
Reply to
rgarrett

Camshaft seals, Crankshaft seals, blocked Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, loose oil unions, valve guide wear, overfilled sump, etc. etc.

All the best, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Try changing the oil and filter with good quality oil and filter and see if the air mixture gizzmo under the inlet manifold is working correctly or in need of a cleanout ,as well I would check the oxygen sensor as it can make smoke if its carpet .Then give it a good drive and rev out in the lower gears .After this see if all is ok as often a good rev out is all the car needs .Its a very young car to need any work yet ,go on give it a good rev out Volvos need it every so often .My wifes 740 turbo did this puff of smoke bit it was an oxy sensor now its done 237000klm and clean as clean .My sons has done 300000klm no oil used .And mine has done 170000klm no leaks either and no use of oil .We are not talking Japanese motors here work it out and see the difference ..

Reply to
John Robertson