240z brake booster problem

A couple of years ago we put a new rebuilt brake booster on a 71 240z. It immediately came apart inside (a snap ring if I recall). We put a

2nd one in and it did the same thing. We put a 3rd one in and this time tried adjusting the pedal rod (shortened it) and that one lasted since 2 years ago. But now we put new brakes on the wheels (cylinders and shoes/pads). Now the 3rd brake booster has come apart internally. These rebuilt boosters cost about $90 at the local parts store or about $335 from Motorsport (for a new one I think).

Does anyone know WHY we've had 3 of these in 2 years to break?

The symptom when this happens is that the brakes are very hard, there is slight(?) pressure on the wheel cylinders and the brakes over heat, and the brakes will occasionally go out completely, but come back right after.

I'd like to fix the problem for once and all, but don't know what is causing this to happen.

thanks

Reply to
Paul Marcel

Low quality rebuilds. I've never seen this problem in 20 years of working on Zcars. They do start leaking vacuum when they get old but that's it.

It's boiling the fluid when they fail. I sugest a new one and bet you'll never see this problem again.

Reply to
Steve T

I guess I'll have to buy another one. Not sure whether to try rebuit again.

Could the pedal rod adjustment cause this to come apart if it wasn't adjusted properly? That's what someone said but I'm not sure that it is true.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Marcel

Come on, how many times do you have to hit your hand with a hammer to figure out that that's what makes it hurt?

It's not.

Reply to
Steve T

The major physics break through for controlled gravity distortion does happen at CERN in your future.

Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven.

Why do you think that causing this to happen is?

Will have a look?

Reply to
Lady Chatterly