86 300ZX digital dash problem

My 86 300ZX has a digital dashboard which goes blank frequently. A sharp rap of the knuckle on the top of the leather dashboard used to turn it back on. No more. Seems like a loose wire or connection. Dealer says put a new $2000 dash in ( this was some years ago) Car drives just fine without the dash details, but of course I have to keep the gas tank topped off all the time to be sure I don't run out. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or fix thiis? Like, unplugging all the wires and connectors and cleaning off, etc. ?

Reply to
bobshepherd

See

Bad solder joints in the amplifier.

And they are idiots..

Reply to
Steve T

I have heard that too from a Z specialty repair shop. The Tech there says what they do is go in and re-solder the all the connections. Seems simple enough, are you feeling lucky?

Randy '87 Z

Reply to
Randy Hansen

I've only seen 2 out of probably 300 I've tried this on that it didn't fix. Those two needed a new amplifier. I've never seen a bad head unit.

Reply to
Steve T

can you fix mine too!!!

Reply to
Kottonmouth801

Hello,

Well I hope you have some time - I have fixed a few of those dashes and you need patience's. I removed the display - there is a plug that goes into the power supply on the lower part of the dash. I cut that harness one inch above the plug and this is where the patience part comes in. I would remove each connector from the plug - one at a time

- cut off the extra wire and re-solder it to the cut end connected to the dash. I have done this four times and it works every time - I hope this helps.

any questions email me at snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Patric

Reply to
Galloway