Buying a 300zx

I'm in Melbourne, Australia and am looking into buying a 300zx. Why? They just look great, don't they? Only one problem though. I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but here these cars are mainly used by young folk. Maybe of around 18-25 years of age, and their stereotypical tendencies are to drive fast, drive dangerously, and chances are, the cars end up being mechanically exhausted, if not destroyed. Naturally, when about to be sold, these cars will look spotless, both inside and out. My question is, is there anything to look out for? I don't know much about cars, so am thinking about getting a mechanic to accompany me to see the cars.. But personally, is there anything to look for when seeing this cars? Noise in the engine? Oil leaks? Anything that these cars are prone to having when they're driven too hard?

Thanks for all your help..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Like, which generation of 300ZX?

Reply to
Steve T

Something like a 1990+ The ones with the targa top look great.. And most of them have very low kms for their age.

: > Anything that these cars are prone to : > having when they're driven too hard? : >

: : Like, which generation of 300ZX? : : -- : : Steve : :

invalid unparseable

The expencive problem the 90+ NA models have is the VTC (intake camshaft sprockets) start leaking oil and/or make noise. Just the parts are over $1000. Stay away from the automatic trans ones. Other than this, just the normal stuff cars develop and yes either take a machanic to the car or the car to a mechanic.

Reply to
Steve T

B61E60DF272E9468875E3978 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

One of the best things to do when buying a car of this vintage is to run a compression check on each cylinder.

If all cylinders show about the same compression level it gives a reasonably good indication that the engine is at least in pretty good shape.

This is a lot easier to do on older cars than the new ones. On the new engines it's hard to find the spark plugs let alone run a compression check.

Also, look at the head gasket for leaks. I think these older Z's all have aluminum heads. Water and coolant can cause an electrolysis that can eat into an aluminum head. Changing this can be a bit expensive. Sometimes they are hard to find. The point to ask is how often has the current owner changed the radiator water?

Also, look for body rust under the inside carpets.

I have a 240Z that still runs great. I have rebuilt the engine 3 times and I can keep going forever cause the cylinder walls are so thick one can just keep boring them out.

Reply to
John

I live in Atlanta, GA USA and it sounds like your knowledge of autos is similar to the majority of drivers. I've been to Sidney and Melbourne and I belive there are auto inspection companies that will look at the engine, drive train, body, and every section of the car for about $95.00 American or about $ 40 Aussie Dollars.

Here's link to major USA auto inspection company that partnered up with Ebay.

You can find this link at EbayMotors.com or use a seach engine to find a local inspection company. Good luck.

Wilb Bill

Reply to
WildBill66