Check engine, stupid dealer? Battery?

I went to get my 88 300ZX smogged today. The smog nazi told me that he couldn't do it because the 'check engine light' is on. I just changed the battery which is when it came on. So, I called the dealer. The dealer told me that I need to come in and pay $85 to have it reset. I asked if I could just disconnect the battery for about three hours. He started talking about emissions, voltage crap etc..... Can I disconnect the battery for a few hours and have this light go off?

Reply to
LACropCircles

yes ,

Or is there a programming mode on this car?

Reply to
Paul Maxson

All it says in my info is that the light will go out when the system is repaired. Seeing as you had the battery disconnected it may just be that your computer has to go through a re-learn process. If everything is working properly it should re-learn just by driving the car normally a few times. If the light stays on you may have a component that's not working.

Ernst

Reply to
Ernst