Odd noise

Auto (climate control) air? If so it's the aspirator fan.

Reply to
Steve T

My 1982 280ZX has an intermittent noise that appears to come from behind the passenger side dash. I removed the wire connector from the ventilation blower so it is not that but it sounds exactly like blower fan noise.

Could there be another fan in that area, or is it possible the factory radio/tape player could make such a noise?

Chris

Reply to
Christine

Bingo! You have to pull the glove box to get to it. My 82 did the same thing. It is used to pull air in for a temp sample.

WT

Dallas Ministries

Might try just unplugging the fan part? I think they are stupid expencive and the system works OK (they normally don't work very well anyway) without this fan.

Reply to
Steve T

That must be it, thanks for the tip. The car belongs to a friend of mine and it was driving us both nuts trying to figure out what kind of fan could be hidden under the dash ... there just weren't any more fuses to pull or wires to disconnect to find it. Now the fun bit, taking the glove box out and trying to lube the thing or replace it.

Rick

Steve T wrote:

Reply to
Rick

That's what I did. Never noticed any difference other than the noise going away.

WT

Dallas Ministries

OK, that is the kind of fix I can live with. Thanks to both of you for the info. Can I reach the wiring without removing the glove box?

Rick

Dallas M> That's what I did. Never noticed any difference other than the noise going > away.

Reply to
Rick

No, but it's just a few screws. It's pretty easy to remove. You don't have to pull the dash, just the glove box lining. Open it and you'll see what you have to pull.

WT

Dallas Ministries

Reply to
Rick