1987 2.4L C-22 "Vanette" fuel injection problem

I acquired a 1987 C-22 "Vanette" in good condition, except that it is not getting enough fuel.

Was wondering if anyone knows of something Nissan modified during the many recalls to disable the fuel injection system under some conditions?   I have the rather vague factory shop manual and have tested every parameter  of the injection system I can think of, or find in the manual.

It all seems to be working, but just not delivering enough fuel.  I get a code 44 from the ECU and the manual says 44 means No Problems. No error codes at all from the ECU. Both injectors are clean and apparently working. I pulled them out and they open at about 4 volts and 200 ma.

The fuel pressure stays right on 38 psi, as specified.

Looked at the signal to the injectors with a logic probe and an O-scope and they are both getting a pulse, though I couldn't determine that the pulse width was varying as it should with engine speed.

All sensors and throttle switches seem OK except the throttle position sensor works backwards to what the manual says. I assume that is a typo in the manual since jumpering the wiring to the position switch so it works as the manual says made no difference in how the engine runs.

Tested the ignition system extensively and the 1 degree and 180 degree signals are both there. All ignition connectors clean and have continuity.

It won't idle unless I add fuel via the intake duct. When I do this, it idles smoothly. Seems like something is limiting the ECU from delivering the proper amount of fuel.

I can also make it run by momentarily triggering an injector with a jumper wire to ground. The manual warns not to do this, but I wanted to verify that the injectors were capable of flowing enough fuel.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Bill F

Reply to
toronado

You do know those Van's were bought back by Nissan and crushed.

The reason... they caught fire

there have been so many modifications to those thinks Nissan does not know what's going on and or how to fix them.

Sell IT !

Reply to
NissTech

Sounds like a future collectable! :-)

Reply to
JimV

That's exactly what I was thinking when I got it. It must be a pretty rare vehicle after all that has happened. This thing really has every possible option on it and the body and interior are in great condition.

I don't mind a little risk of fire. I'm a member of the local volunteer fire department.

Reply to
toronado

Check the resistance from the injector leads to the batt and ECU. Both should be very low (0-.5 Ohms). Also check the injector connectors. If you swap it, swap in another Nissan. The headaches are a lot less, and there is a huge Nissan swap community on the net.

rock4arolla