1993 sentra needs fuel pump

It is it difficult to install one yorself? A tried to locate instructions on how to put one in - to no avail.

If I could afford the $400 to have it done I would.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
KTT

Are you sure it needs one? It uncommon for them to go out, I've seen a BUNCH replaced that weren't the problem.

Reply to
Steve T

Steve T wrote: >

I took it to a mechanic because it spun over but didn't try to start. He told me it needed a fuel pump. He said it tried to start when he used either

I did some rearsearch at

93&make=NI It said Alleged fuel pump failures can often be traced to a faulty fuel pressure regulator......

I can't seem to find find where to get the regulator - I dont know if this model has one.

Reply to
KTT

It will do the same thing if the injectors don't fire. This 'either" test is a VERY poor way to diagnose anything other than fuel isn't reaching the cylinders.

The reason I made this coment was in 20 years of working on nissans I've seen 2 dead fuel pumps and seen many dozen replaced and the car still didn't run. has anyone checked to even see if the pump has power going to it or if it has fuel pressure?

Reply to
Steve T

This happened without any warning. Everything has been running OK. The car was in my driveway and when I tried to start it it just spun over quickly but didn't start.

The mechanic thaught is spinned too fast, so he checked the appropriate cylinder on its high spot to make sure it wasn't the chain. It was OK.

This is the only car I have, it has 186,000 highway miles on it. It needs axels and the exhaust that goes from the manifold to the cat.

I live on 610/mo and with the fule pump gone the bill would come to about $1000 for all the repairs.

I removed the back seat and think I've located where the fuel pump is. I figured if I could fix the fuel problem I could have the car ready for inspection. Another car like this (1993-1995 Sentra) will cost me $3000-4000

I am thinking I took it to the wrong mechanic>

Steve T wrote:

Reply to
KTT

All you need to do is get a test lamp and check that the fuel pump has power and ground going to it, if it does and there is no fuel delivered at the filter, then yes the pump is bad. Pumps aren't cheap enough or easy to get to so I wouldn't just asume it's the problem.

Reply to
Steve T

I'm not sure about 93's but the fuel pump in my 91 went out at 60k miles. The dealer said then that it was common and there was a recall on them. It was fixed for free even though the car was out of warranty..

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It's under the back seat.

Reply to
Chris

I had the same problem on my Maxima. Turned out my gas level sending unit was broken, and I was actually out of gas. :-) Put a few bucks of gas in there just to make sure.

Reply to
Sarky

My sending unit is bad in my '92 Sentra but it shows low.

Reply to
Chris