1995 Nissan 4 cyl. Hardbody King Cab 4x4 FUEL ECONOMY REPORT

20 MPG!! Hooray!!

I've owned this truck for several years. When I bought it it had 75,000 miles. It now has 115,000 miles.

When the truck was new to me I was very disappointed with the fuel economy. In this group and elsewhere the consensus was that the BEST fuel economy that could be expected of this truck was 17 MPG - and that was about what I was averaging.

About six months ago the Nissan desperately needed a tune-up and I decided to do some research on the Web before I started. I won't go into details here because it would take way too much time and typing, but my research led me to do the following simple things.

  1. Bosch platinum plugs.
  2. High quality spark plug wires.
  3. New distributor cap and rotor.
  4. Two (2) doses of Chevron Techron Concentrate in the fuel system.
  5. I now use Chevron regular unleaded gasoline exclusively.
  6. I have a new fuel filter but haven't yet gotten around to installing it.

On my last fill-up the truck achieved 20 MPG in combined city/highway driving (mostly suburban stop and go). This has been typical for the past six months.

Additionally, I use Castrol Syntec 5w-50 EXCLUSIVELY and change it every

5,000 miles. My fuel economy would likely get a little better with 30 weight, but the 5w-50 provides greater protection for the engine. I intend to keep the truck forever. Also, I believe in performing PM and keeping vehicles serviced, but I'm neither a car nut nor am I a mechanic.

My recommendations:

  1. Do a Web search on Chevron gasoline. Learn about the Techron additive.
  2. Do a Web search on motor oils. Particularly natural vs. synthethic.
  3. High quality plugs and wires are a must and actually save you money.

On a side note, my wife and I bought an F350 Powerstroke crew cab 4x4 to pull a camper. We no longer need the Nissan. However, It's been such a good truck we just can't part with it. So, I drive the Nissan daily and we just use the big truck to pull the camper.

I would highly recommend this truck to anyone wanting or needing a truck of this size and capability.

======================================="People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell.

Reply to
Charles Bruni

On a fill up, I would normally get about 400Km in my 97 hardbody. I have been using Amsoil engine oil for about 4 yrs, but last year also changed my transmission and diff oil to Amsoil. I now get about 450Km to a tank! This is not a plug for Amsoil, but if fuel economy is a concern, think about synthetic in your trans and diff.

Ronzo

Reply to
Ronzo