1998 frontier fuel low light never works

Is the fuel low indicator ever supposed to work on the 98 Frontier?

My 88 nissan truck's did.

The Haynes repair manual schematic shows that it should never work - a ground on one side of the light and a variable resistor tied to ground in the fuel sending/sensor unit.

The bulb is good.

All similar Nissan models tie the fuel low indicator bulb to power and use a switch in the fuel sending/sensor to ground it, lighting it up.

What's up?

TIA

Reply to
Charles Mohney

I don't get the point of those lights - I have one in my '88 pickup and I've never had it go on, as I've never been that low on gas. Why not just fill up at a quarter tank or whatever and not worry about it?

Cheers, Geoff in Vancouver

Reply to
Geoff

It's an idiot light for those of us pushing our luck!

Reply to
Charles Mohney