1999 Pathfinder "Check Engine Soon" light came on

Otherwise the SUV runs fine & I haven't notice in any performance hit. What is the cause of this? Is there anything to check before having to take the vehicle in for work?

THX!

Reply to
Travis S.

Probably an Oxygen sensor.

Reply to
ppointer

The light come on my '02 Pathfinder last month and it was a "Swirl Control Valve" (fortunately fixed under warranty).

You need to get the code out of it to see what it is. There is a procedure in the FSM to make it tap out the codes by flashing the light if you don't have an OBD-II scanner.

Reply to
E. Meyer

there are about 80 different things that can turn on the check engine light.

so your guess is as good as mine.

get the codes read

Reply to
NissTech

Emission control component, too many to diagnose without an OBDII reader.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Travis S.

Reply to
Travis S.

In my part of the USA Schucks will rent one, and Autozone will read it for you.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond

Reply to
Louis Bybee

In Massachusetts I use Autozone. They will read the code for free. Hoping to sell you parts!

Reply to
Steve

Thanks. I stopped by Checkers Auto and they lend the OBDII Scanner out providing you put a deposit down. The clerk told me that since I have the car in the parking lot, I could use it providing I let him hold my License.

The error code that I got is: P153, which he told me was the passenger side rear Oxygen Sensor.

How much should I expect to pay to service this? Or is the unit accessible and can be done w/o taking it in.

Thanks.

Reply to
Travis S.

Oops, I meant to say P158.

Reply to
Travis S.

The last O2 sensor I paid for cost just under $200 installed. They're not cheap.

Next time I will check out Bosch for their replacement O2 sensors. I'm curious to see how long they'll last.

Reply to
ppointer

Arn't those expensive Nissan sensors in reality made by ND or NGK and available for a lot less money?

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

The rear passenger sensor looks easily accessible (no corrosion on it, and made by Bosch... thus it probably was replaced already). There's two sections of the 02 sensor that has fasteners; one on top of the tranny, and another that's more accessible. Anyway if I am replacing the whole 02 sensor assembly (connector to the sensor), couldn't I just cut the old one after removal and run the replacement along the same path? Will this get rid of the "check engine soon light" or do I still need to have the system re-set afterwards?

If anyone has any pointer with do's & don'ts when replacing the 02 sensor, I'd really appreciate it.

Reply to
Travis S.

Good question. Maybe Nisstech knows...

Reply to
ppointer

Seems to me I read right here about other Nissan models and the sensor actually having the NGK trademark logo on it. I would guess it's NGK. Bosch isn't a logical choice and Nissan sure doesn't make any components.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow