check engine light

`02 Camry -4 113500 kilometers got inthe car the other day and the check engine light came on when I turned on the key

The book says check the gas tank and cap which I did and if that doesnt work take it to a dealer which I will do this week .

what I would like to know is what other condition could cause the check engine light to come on?

The car runs fine , lots of pickup etc and nothing seems to have changed in the operation of the vehicle . any help appreciated TIA

Reply to
mred

It could be something wrong with the engine (a misfire, e.g.), the emissions system, like a bad sensory, vehicle speed sensor, one of the sensors that helps the computer control your engine, like cam shaft ro crank shaft position sensory, something in the ignition or fuel system (like not enough fuel system), transmission. There are probably about

1000 codes for your car.

What you need to do if find out exactly what codes are being seen by the mechanic (have him or her write them down), and report back to us both what the codes are and what the mechanic says.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There are several hundred possible trouble codes, so take your pick as to the possible cause. A loose gas cap used to be the most common cause, the next most common is probably related to O2 sensors.

As Jeff Strickland suggested, you can go to Autozone to have the codes scanned for free, then post the actual numeric code(s) here.

Reply to
Ray O