1999 Pathfinder heating up in Cargo area

Maybe someone can help me. I have a 1999 Pathfinder SE. runs great has

96,000+ miles. I bought it brand new. When driving more than 5 hours with it while going on vacation the other day. I smelled something electronic burning. I thought it was coming in from the outside. But yesterday after driving for 4 hours and unpacking the car. I felt the back cargo area was really warm actually HOT I couldn't touch it. I let it cool for 30 minutes and peeled back the carpet (which was melted) and the mat (looks like insulation) under it. It was melted enough it looked like it was burnt and on fire at one time. I peel back a bit more there is a round hole you can see its over the gas tank area I think. Does anyone know is the gas pump in the top of the tank?

I have no idea why its gets so hot back there. Its in the middle of the cargo area towards the passenger side (right) when look to the front of the car from the back. I'm bringing it to the deal on Monday but would like to have idea on what the heck this could be. Thanks

Reply to
Andy White

Andy White