'92 Pathfinder fuel pump flaking?

I drove around town in my Pathfinder this morning (total of about 4-5 miles), and when I got home, I parked it and got out. When I opened the door, I heard a buzzing sound from the back of the truck that continued for long enough for me to stick my head under the back end and go back up to the driver's seat. All I can figure is it's the fuel pump, but I don't know why it would continue to run with the ignition off. If it is the fuel pump, I have concerns because it was louder and more of a low-pitched buzz than I would expect - most fuel pumps I've heard are a higher pitched whine.

Any feedback, particularly on why my pathfinder is buzzing after I shut it off?

Aaron '92 Pathfinder '87 528e '88 MR2 NA '70 Beetle project

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness

It's most likely the fuel tank vapor check valve. Next time you hear it, remove the gas cap and I bet it stops as soon as you do.

Reply to
Steve T