Pathfinder Transmission

Hi, I have a 2003 Pathfinder. It runs great except sometimes when I am getting up to speed on the highway. Occasionally, it will refuse to go into its final gear. There have been times I have hit almost 80 MPH. I then have to back off the gas to get the gear to change. I brought it into the dealer today. The tech told me that it was that I am hitting the gas too hard and stressing the transmission. The fact is that I do have a slight leadfoot, but I have also been driving cars for 20 or so years and never experienced this. He claims that this is something that it characteristic of the Pathfinder. My questions are

  1. Has anyone else experienced this with their Pathfinder? 2. Is that a true fact in regards to this model? 3. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Thank you for you response. -Lon
Reply to
Lon

My '01 QX4 does the same thing, especially when I drag a trailer on the highway. What I usually do is accelerate to speed and set the cruise. If the tranny is stuck in third, I hit the O/D button off and back on. That makes it drop into fourth PDQ. My guess is that this is a design feature, not a flaw, and helps to keep the tranny from hunting for gears under heavier loads when climbing hills, for example. Too bad your mechanic doesn't know this.

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
ron

I have an '02 .. no problems with acceleration .. but I would think the issue is that you may be driving it like a car, when its a truck.

-Angel

Reply to
radnj

Does this happen after it has been sitting for a while? The transmission will not lock-up the torque converter in 4th gear until the transmission reaches optimal temperature.

For me usually this occurs in the winter time ('02 Pathfinder) when I am leaving work since it is right next to the interstate (versus my home which is a few miles from it).

Reply to
Matt

He claims that this is

That sounds like a typical dealer comment :)

I have a 2001 with a (rare) 5spd that has absolutely no hesitation, so the comparison isn't fair, but do you have an overdrive? it would seem to me that the lock up gear isn't working properly. I know people who have that kind of shifting problem with their Maxima. You might want to check the maxima boards or nissan enthusiast boards to see if anyone has experienced it. Unfortunately, I don't know of many dedicated Pathfinder sites availible to puruse, after looking around a bit myself. There are more Xterra sites than anything though! best of luck

Reply to
Roland Thai

You're not crazy Lon. I have the same issue with my 2001 Pathfinder LE. Yes, I drive with a heavy foot. But my wife does not and she has the same issue. Coming up the hill towards the house (on the Interstate), if I ever make it downshift, it is a hassle to get it to get back into high gear until I tio the hill. I can let off the gas and hold it steady all the way to and past 85 MPH and it still won't shift. I have to let off the gas for 3-5 seconds before it will shift. I got the same type story from the dealer. If it is by design. It's a piss poor design.

And to answer Matt's question: Mine happens whether it is hot or cold. It just doesn't matter.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Griffin

Next time, try hitting the O/D button off and on and see if that makes it shift. Works for me.

The characteristic of the transmission to stay in third is useful when pulling a trailer through hills on the interstate. However, I agree that it is otherwise silly when not pulling a trailer.

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
Tyson