2002 Pathfinder Cooling System Change

I tried to find a radiator drain c*ck for my 2002 Pathfinder. Finally gave up and inserted a small diameter4' long tube into the radiator cap and snaked it back toward the firewall and got about 3/4 gallon of old antifreeze/water out. Replaced it with a 50-50 mix of new antifreeze and water and put more of the same into the overflow reservoir. never did find anything looking like a drain c*ck or plug, and got tired of scooting around on my backside under the front of the vehicle.

Can anyone tell me the actual factory-recommended method of changing the antifreeze/water mix in the cooling system?

Reply to
hrhofmann

hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following:

There is no 'drain c*ck'. It is a screw-in plug. Look at the bottom back side of the radiator on the driver's side. There is a white plastic plug with 'butterfly' wings that unscrews. here's a pic of the plug.

willshak

The drain c*ck is there (unless you have an aftermarket radiator?). Look on the back side of the radiator near the corner just above a flat metal brace that runs under the radiator. I don't remember which side, but it is obvious once you know to look above the brace.

It does not have a protruding handle, but rather a plastic screw flush with the hole. The less messy way to drain it is to first remove that deftly placed brace.

For future reference - the preferred method of draining this radiator is of course through the drain plug. If you ever are faced with a radiator that does not have a drain (some domestic cars are like that), the preferred method is to remove the bottom radiator hose at the radiator.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Bill,

The stock plug, at least the > hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following: