'85 300zx Non-Turbo: Low Compression in #1 Cylinder

Hi,

Long-time Z car lover, first time poster.

I have an '85 non-turbo with 190,000 miles that I've had for about

4 years. The body is great, but the #1 cylinder has low compression. The "wet" and "dry" compression tests yielded similar numbers, so... what does that mean? Does that mean that the rings are OK and it has some kind of valve problem? I wonder if the timing belt broke for the prior owner (can't that do valve damage?).

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? I know with this many miles that the best course of action may be to get a rebuilt engine, but I was kind of hoping that something cheaper may work.

Even with 7.5 (?) cylinders it has a lot of power.

Thanks.

Reply to
BB

The wet test should seal the rings... to you have an upper end leak. If it was a bad head gasket, you'd likely have problems in two adjacent cyl's. Probably valves.

Reply to
still just me