94 pathfinder battery goes dead

i have a new battery in my 94 pathfinder but after it sits for a few days, the battery goes dead...any ideas?

Reply to
Shawn

check for an electrical system draw

check the alternator

check the state of the battery

Reply to
NissTech

the alternator and battery are ruled out for sure, any good ways to find out whats sucking the life out of my battery while it sits? im told to use a light between the neg battery post and the neg battery wire and if the light comes on then there is something drawing current and pull fuses until light goes out to narrow down what system is sucking the current, is this how its done or is there a different way?

Reply to
Shawn

That's pretty much right, but an amp meter would be better than a light. If you use a light, make it a decent size 12L, not just a little circuit tester. That will light even with normal current draw.

Reply to
JimV

I wouldn't rule out the alternator just yet - Alternators have diodes in them to to generate DC and to make sure the battery voltage does not find the path to ground when it is parked. If one of the diodes is blown, you can have leakage through your alternator. The charging regulator will actually try make up for the defect. When the charging voltage is measured it can seem like the alternator is functioning just fine so it can fool you.

Your test with a light or amp meter is fine and will do the trick -- one of the fuses actually is on the leg that goes to the alternator, so you should be able to see if it is bad this way.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
Shawn

The radio is powered on when the ignition is off.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

nope no power to the radio except forthe memory wire, the amps are powered seperately and somehow when i put the radio in, i must have mixed a wire up somewhere and the amps stay turned on, draining my battery.

Reply to
Shawn

AH, the truth comes out. ;-)

The problem is not in the factory amp circuit, but in your wiring. Get a factory service manual, and start chasing your wiring.

Factory service manuals are expensive, but worth every penny. I buy or order one whenever I pick up a new vehicle.

And BTW, if you've run the battery dead flat several times, plan on replacing it. Starting batteries do not like to be rurn dead flat.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet