97 pathfinder - new owner questions

I just bought a 1997 pathfinder and have a couple of questions.

There is a small thin line in the center of the windshield that appears to be some type antenna, however the vehicle has a power operated antenna that comes up and down from the right front fender. Can anyone explain what this thing is in the windshield?

The vehicle has 133,000 miles. The owner's manual says change the timing belt at 105k miles, but this has never been changed. How sensitive are pathfinders to changing the timing belt at the recommended mileage? I have learned thru hard knocks that when Honda says do it at 90k miles, do it or risk breaking a timing belt.

Thanks, Tim C.

Reply to
Tim C.

The truck has TWO antenna's, and the system chooses which one is receiving the best signal to provide for best reception.

You definitely should change the timing belt. A break can have catastrophic results.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Here's where I'm confused. The 99 Nissan Quest has the VG Motor as well but it is non-interfering, I.e. if the belt breaks the engine stops working but no harm (other than the belt) is done to the engine. Did Nissan have 2 version of the VG motor, one which was interfering and one which wasn't?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Yes, different design. Yours definitely has a belt, it will trash the valves if it breaks, and you are on borrowed time.

Reply to
JimV

This is not the same engine set up as the Quest. You definitely need to change the belt or you could be faced with enormous repair bills.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Willy, thanks so much for the answer. So you are saying my engine is the type that if the belt breaks it will really damage the engine? what is that ...interfering? or non interfering??

thx, Tim

Willy wrote:

Reply to
Tim C.

Interfering means that the valves come down far enough that if the belt breaks, they'll "interfere" with the piston. Higher performance engines have higher lift valves and hence interference. Minivan engines are typically lower performance. My mom broke a timing belt in her car (Chevette, I think), no problem, low performance, low lift, no interferance. But I know people who basically destroyed a motor if there was interference.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Basically, if the timing belt breaks, chances are your valves will make contact with your pistons, which could easily render the engine unworthy of repair.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

In other words, your VG motor inside your 97 Pathfinder is an interfering design.

CD

Reply to
Codifus