99 Pathfinder rough idle

99 Pathfinder SE Limited 70,000 miles. Truck started shaking at idle, but runs fine at speed. Mechanic narrowed down the problem to the #2 cylinder dropping out and ran a cleaner through the injectors. Truck ran fine for about 600 miles and now the shake is back and it's shaking at speed not just at idle. After paying mechanic too much to not fix the problem the first time. Does anyone have a clue what this could be?
Reply to
fletch

Fill the gas tank and then add 1 quart of tranny fluid in the gas tank. See if that fixes the problem.

Check your spark plugs & wires , cap & rotor, and fuel filter. I change mine every 2 years regardless.

Jim Rojas Devoted Nissan Owner - 1988 4x4 V6 KingCab with 287K miles, orginal engine & tranny.

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Just curious, How does adding trans fluid to the fuel help anything, wouldnt this actually be bad for the plugs or engine?

Reply to
Shawn

On 12/17/2004 7:48 AM US(ET), Shawn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I've never heard of adding ATF to gasoline. It doesn't seem very productive. When I was a kid (back in the 50's), the then current rumor was that adding ATF to engine oil would help oil distribution, and adding brake fluid to automatic transmissions would do the same for that.

Reply to
willshak

ATF is corrosive. It basically helps remove build up in fuel lines & filters, carberators, and fuel injectors, at a fraction of what STP or other similar additives cost. I also put 1 quart of ATF in my engine oil 1 week prior to an oil change for the same reason.

Several years ago, I removed my valve cover on one side because I too was skeptical. My engine is super clean. There is no build up anywhere to be found. I did this also to my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder with the same results. Both vehicles have the original engines and transmissions, with no sign of wear, and no loss of compression. The Pathfinder has 115K miles on it, and still no troubles.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas