Air Conditioning Squeak/Screech

I get a loud squeak/screech sound when I turn on my air conditioner. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this? 1995 Nissan 200SX.

Reply to
Mondra Howard

Several possibilities:

- The drive belt to the compressor could be loose. If so, tighten it.

- The drive belt could be glazed. If so, replace it.

Actually, the belts on a '95 are probably getting hard from age if they haven't been changed by now. It would not be a bad idea to just replace them all.

- If there is a tensioning pulley on the AC belt, it could be getting noisy indicating a failing bearing. Replace the belt first before looking at this as a cause.

- If the belts are all new and there is not a bad tensioner, the compressor itself could be getting ready to seize. How is the cooling? If it is still cold, this is probably not the problem. In any event, this would be very expensive. I would look at belts first.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I recently replaced the alternator and radiator belts. Is the A/C belt the only other one I would need to replace. If so, where is it located? Thanks!!!!!!!!

-Dre

Reply to
Mondra Howard

Wow! Thanks... I've been having the same screech with my Fronty! Gotta look at that belt...

Little weekend project with a Guiness!!

Jeff

****************************
Reply to
jeff

Reply to
Mondra Howard

Jeff: Have you ever been to

? Check out the forums there. There's a great Frontier one...

Reply to
Bhuvan

Starting from front. Power steering A/C Fan/Water pump/Alternator belt

Peter Hill

replace the drive belts

Reply to
NissTech

I also have a 1995 Nissan 200SX (SE in my case)...

There are two (flat serpentine) belts as you say and there are only TWO (no such thing as a adiator" belt).

  1. Crankshaft pulley to alternator, AC and idler pulley. This is the WIDER serpentine belts of the two and it's on the OUTSIDE of the pulley.

  1. Crankshaft pulley to water pump and power steering (if you have that). This is the thinnner serpentine belt on the inside.

If you already replaced TWO belts, then you got all of them and you're done...as far as I know, at least on my 200SX with AC.

Your 200SX Owner's Manual has a diagram of these belts.

John D.

Reply to
John D.

P.S. Be sure the belt tension is okay...check it now and after you drive it a week or so, it may loosen up just a bit.

Like most other things, do not overtighten the belts or you cause unnecessary wear on the various components' bearings.

JD

Reply to
John D.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have replaced 2 belts, so now I'll check the tension and let you know what happens.......

-Dre

Reply to
Mondra Howard

Reply to