Alternator bad?

My '91 Nissan Sentra has lately been having starting problems. Most of the times it does start fine but sometimes, I just need to keep trying for quite some time. I took the car to a mechanic who checked the electrical output of the battery. It read 13 Volts. He said it should at least be 14 volts and declared that the alternator of the car had gone bad. He tested the battery and said the battery looked good.

Does his analysis look good?

Thanks. Ashish.

Reply to
Ashish

In my last Nissan, a '90 Sentra, I was having problems with the radio on my way to a meeting. Then, the radio just died and shortly thereafter, the car started bucking, etc.

After getting a tow home, I figured out that the alternator was bad, which, in turn, drained the battery. The car was 7 years old at this point, so I replaced both the alt. and battery.

Cost: Alternator (rebuilt) $210 Battery (new) $50

My bro in law and I installed each, so I didn't have to worry about labor charges. Worst case scenario, change the battery and see how it goes. I would actually recommend this as you don't want to have to deal with a bad battery in the dead of winter!!

Reply to
Bhuvan