98 Sunfire 2.2 - Alternator

The check battery light is now displaying on the dash of my 98 Sunfire. I have a semi-new battery in the car (replaced last year) So I'm thinking I have a problem with my alternator.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Justin Edwards

Some of the bigger chain auto parts stores will check it free of charge if you bring it in.

6 years old sounds about the right time frame for ALT failures.

I'm on ALT # 3 now.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,626 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Have you looked to see if the belt is turning the alternator? No squealing? Check for loose connections at the battery and the alternator, broken wires. Quick simple check - Measure battery voltage with the car off - somewhere near ~12 volts. Start the car. Voltage should be closer to ~14 volts now. If it is closer to 14 with car running, turn on all electrical loads (lights, wipers, blower on hi, rear defog, etc) and see if voltage remains above 13.

Reply to
Mike