Altima Fuel Injector Leaks

Hi. My son recently replaced his intake manifold on his 1997 Altima and now it will barely idle, and a vacuum gauge oscillates like a madman. After checking all the vacuum hoses for routing and leaks, I listened to the base of each injector with a long rubber hose. I could hear what sounded like a definite hiss on several, so we bought new gaskets that go between the bottom of the injector and the manifold. It didn't seem to help much, so I tried putting a heavy coat of rubber cement around the base of each injector where it goes into the manifold. That smoothed out the idle. Once the rubber cement is peeled off, it reverts back to running like a piece of crap.

The fuel rail seems to offer some movement when you tighten the two bolts down, but just looking down at the injector seat, they don't look properly seated to me.

Is there some way to make sure we are getting these seals seated properly when we tighten the two bolts down? Is there a torque setting for tightening the bolts?

Is there some sort of gasket sealer we should be using? Should we polish the seat on the top of the manifold?

Overall, it seems like a pretty hit or miss design.

Reply to
Smyrna45

Here is the follow up, in case anyone else has this problem. It turns out that the fuel injector rail was tightened down without the two spacers that go between it and the manifold, causing it to bend just enough so that the injectors would not seal. We got a new rail from the local you-pull-it and put it on, and all is well again. The rubber cement temporary sealer is worth remembering, and peels off easily when you are done testing.

Reply to
Smyrna45

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty "Smyrna45" addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

interesting...thanks for following up. lesson learned.

Reply to
kegler

I was listening. Thanks for the heads up.

CD

Reply to
Codifus