Hissing Diesel Injector

I have a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi..

Recently I noticed a hissing sound coming from the engine particularly when cold. The hiss changed frequency with engine speed!

I have removed all the plastic nonsense from the top of the engine and noticed that the area surrounding injector 2 was all wet and looked goey. The hissing seemed to be coming from this area, spraying some WD alike into the area resulted in some bubbling from around the area.

Unplugging the injector does not effect the hiss.

A quick google suggests that there are possibley sealing washer at the bottom of the injector which can go buggered.

Can anyone tell me if they think this is a possible cause of the hiss/air leak.

Would this be likely effecting the MPG?

I have heard mention that you can get the washers cherry hot and re-use, is there any advantage to this as opposed to not being a tight arse and replacing it?

The injector seems to be removed by disconecting the HP Fuel feed, the LP return, electrickery and then removing two female hex bolts (these look a bit wired like they have anti tamper posts??) does the injector simply lift out then?

Ta

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

what you need to hope is that the head is not cracked or burnt. Which it will be if left too long.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Definately will be the sealing washer. The seat will need re-cutting, lightly if its not been leaking for too long. Seals kits are available from Ford for pennies. That's the good news.

No the injectors almost seldomly 'just pull' out. It'll need to be puller-ed . The worse-er news is if it is tight, they almost always are f**ked by removal. Lastly and not least, the fuel feed pipe will need replacing, as they are use once only.

Yes MPG will be down alittle as you are loosing compression.

These engines do not have the most robust nature, and the 1.4's are worse!!

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

how long has it been "hissing" ? because if its been leaking a while these are right bastard to get out !!! I've done a few of these & they carbon up around the leaking injector & you have to chip it all away to get access to the injector clamp & then try & work the injector loose to lift it out, you'll need new top seals, bottom copper washer seal & bleed off pipes, as the small rubber seal on the bleed off pipe split's when you try to re-fit them, you may be lucky though if you lube the seal first & refit.

Reply to
reg

And do not disconnect the injectors on it it may cause quite a bit of damage !

Reply to
Redstar

WTF???!

Reply to
Tim..

should have said When Running they could be open or closed and fill the bore with diesel ! I assume its the same engines as the psa group .

Reply to
Redstar

All noted...

Shopping list at Ford will be

Bottom sealing washer/s Top Sealing Washer Bleed off pipes And HP Fuel feed pipe :-(

What is recommended for recutting the base?

Local garage have said they will do it for £30 labour. Doesnt seem worth getting my tools dirty for that!

Do they Pull/get "pullered" directly up vertically no twisting required?

I have heard about the 1.4s having this injector seal issue but not the

1.6s.

The reason i got it was because we run a small fleet of them at work though our work cars are the 90HP rather than the 109 which I have and they seem to get on well, with minimal maintainance / common user pool.

I have noted they seem to suffer with turbo failure (though none of our fleet have) and as a result I have taken to changing the banjo bolt on the turbo feed as i believe it has a gauze filter in it when i do the oil service which is as ever for me twice a year 6k miles ish.

Thanks again

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Some builds of 2.2HDi's have had issues with the part of the nozzle falling off which leaves a pencil jet of fuel continuously flowing. I've seen two cars now with a hole cut straight though the piston, and out the side of the sump.

Piezo injectors only open when 80v is applied to them.

Reply to
Tim..

Repair completed...

Considering it had only been hissing for a week or two (or at least thats how long id noticed it) there was a significant build up of carbon around number 2 injector.

All 4 cleaned up (number 4 has significan corrosion around the injector)

Copper washers replaced, the new ones seem signifcantly thicker than the replacements even considering squashing, so hopefully Ford/PSA have modified them slightly.

Engine seems much quieter now... Just a damn boost leak to fix now!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton