AOL Drops Newsgroups

If you use AOL to read here, complain to AOL.

Tell Us What You Think All Hail D.O.B! Lanny

Visit my home page:

to JOE-LANTA:

Lanny Lathem

It's about time!

Reply to
Rich

Why complain to AOL? Just switch providers. AOL has nothing to offer that can't be found elsewhere for a better price.

Reply to
newshound

Yes it does actually - in the UK anyway. Broadband with no limits on downloads and free phone help at a better price than competitors.

There's no need to ditch AOL - just register with a free news server, which will give you a far, far better news service than AOL ever did.

Reply to
Rooney

Eh? I'm with Pipex, and a quick look shows them cheaper than AOL. With no limits, natch...

Andy.

(are we far enough off topic yet?)

Reply to
Andy Champ

I pay £19.99 per month. Pipex's 19.99 offering has a 1Gb limit. Having said that, I'm on a 12 month offer, and it goes up to 24.99 after that - but I'll switch to the best current offer. Pipex looks good, I agree - did you get a free broadband modem?

Reply to
Rooney

OK I've now rummaged... I'm on the "unlimited use" 23.44 package, not the 1Gb only. I'm also getting 576kbps, not a mere 500. The extra 10% makes all the difference. Not. As does the 50p cheaper than AOL.

Free modem? Yes, and there's a story. It arrived - installed - ran system for a week - system died. I'd heard stories that the modem draw a fair bit of power - Alcatel frog - so I assumed that was what was wrong, and bought another MB. Nope, that wasn't it. Luckily the replacement one takes SD ram as well as DD, and I found it was the RAM. How the Fk the modem can take out the RAM is beyond me. Anyone like to buy a motherboard, only run for 10 minutes? (actually, I thought of ebay, and it's only worth a tenner so better to keep as a spare).

Back to the point though, the free modem now lives in its box in the cupboard & I have a Netgear router on the wall so my sons can use the internet with my PC off/rebooting/etc. The netgear's a pretty good device, seemed to survive BT's antics last year better when the rain got into the cables. (BT couldn't work out what was going on, and it took a while before my neighbour and I worked out that either of us could connect, but not both at once)

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ