98 CRV traction

I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan. We happen to live in a spot that get most of the snow each winter. We get between 2 and 300 inches each winter. Our little CRV seems to get around pretty good. However, I noticed on a hill once covered with packed snow and ice that when the traction got marginal, one of my tires was not spinning. Is this normal? I thought it was an all wheel drive car. I confess that I am ignorant of what I should expect from my CRV in terms of traction. The good news is that this vehicle with 110 thousand miles on it is running beautifully and requires very little maintenance. I plan to keep it for the rest of my life.

What I am wondering is this. Should I take it into my mechanic this upcoming winter when he can test drive it and see if the drive train needs repair somewhere. This vehicle only gets 20 mpg in short run city driving. It gets

29 and even better sometimes on the highway. I only burn non alcohol gasoline on the recommendation of my mechanic. He said that my car was never made to burn alcohol and it is not that good for it. Since I know practically nothing about automobiles, I take his word for it.

Michael

Reply to
Boomer

Ummmmmm....it's an all wheel drive car, not a 4WD truck with lockable rear/center differentials.

My guess is, it's plenty good enough for the weather you find yourself in most of the time--*especially* if you use winter tires. For the really extreme weather that it's not suitable for, do what many of us do--stay home and wait a day or so for things to clear.

You can do that, or you could go out and buy the most extreme vehicle you can find to tackle even the thousand-year storms that *may* come by in your lifetime. Doesn't make any sense, but that's what some people do.

Here's an idea: you should take it into your garage and park it where it can sit until you read the owner's manual that you threw around somewhere back in 1997 because "hell, I know how to drive a car, I don't need no owner's manual!".

...you should always, always, always read your owner's manual.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's an "intelligent" 4x4. In normal use it is a front wheel drive car but if the front wheels start to lose traction it automatically engages the rear wheels as well.

Reply to
Tinkerer

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The 2WD CR-V has an open diff, that's why one wheel spins and one does not.

The 4WD version of the CR-V might have a locking feature in its rear diff, I don't know.

Reply to
Tegger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I waited for things to clear it would be approximately 7 months. Clearly you do no live in the upper peninsula of Michigan. When it begins to snow in late September or the beginning of October, We can expect it to clear here in April or May. Most people are not prepared to wait that long to get out again. Our town is on an 800 foot rise off of Lake Superior. The rising moisture from the lake dumps on us right away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We usually get just a few inches each snowfall. Some snowfalls during the winter are 2 or 3 feet. I am not trying to prepare for a 100 year snowfall, just normal weather here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Are you this belligerent in person? I suspect not. The internet makes for great bravery among who lead a frightened existence. Here you can be the great internet warrior and express your wrath. : ) Dream on.

...you should always, always, always read your owner's manual.

Reply to
Boomer

You don't come here often, do you.

If you come here and announce to the world that (a) you're ignorant, and (b) strongly prefer to remain that way, as evidenced by (c) your admitted lack of reading the owner's manual, and yet (d) you want people here to spoon feed you the information that's contained in your owner's manual...

....you will get the very treatment you deserve.

I would tell you this in person, yes. Don't you dare come into a group and announce that you REFUSE to read the DEFINITIVE source of information about your car that the automaker willingly supplied to you, yet you need someone here to tell you what it says.

Discussion about items that are not owner's manual items? Great, let's do an information exchange. Trying to figure out the finer details of what the owner's manual or service manual actually means, because the people who wrote it were idiots and/or translated it across five languages, one at a time? Absolutely, we do it all the time.

But, "I am ignorant about cars and have never read my owner's manual but I came here to have you all tell me what it says"? And you WILLINGLY announce that lunacy to the world, as if it's a perfectly normal request? That somehow we now have an obligation simply because you think so?

That you never even considered how lunatic your question is, speaks to how lunatic it is.

Here's a simple question: even if you had never read it before, why DIDN'T you read your owner's manual when you realized you had a question about how the car works????

Take your time, we'll wait.

...you should always, always, always read your owner's manual.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, you don't.

You have an AWD CRV. There is no such thing as a 4WD CRV.

A little bit of research will tell you all you need to know about Honda's RealTime system.

No doubt Wikipedia is your friend.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

i love you elmo.

Reply to
jim beam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You would tell me in person? I really doubt it. You only have balls when you are hidden behind a glowing screen. Just another internet warrior wanna be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I never refused, I did not get an owners manual when I bought it used.

Discussion about items that are not owner's manual items? Great, let's do an information exchange. Trying to figure out the finer details of what the owner's manual or service manual actually means, because the people who wrote it were idiots and/or translated it across five languages, one at a time? Absolutely, we do it all the time.

But, "I am ignorant about cars and have never read my owner's manual but I came here to have you all tell me what it says"? And you WILLINGLY announce that lunacy to the world, as if it's a perfectly normal request? That somehow we now have an obligation simply because you think so?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OK smarty pants, I in fact did not say what you just said. I said I was ignorant of how the car operated. I did not get a manual when I bought this car used. I guess some on this newsgroup use it for a podium to announce their superiority to all who will listen. You made up stuff that I did not say in order to berate me. Very classy.

That you never even considered how lunatic your question is, speaks to how lunatic it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I see, anyone who knows almost nothing about a car is a lunatic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please hold your breath while you are waiting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ummmmmmm.. it's an RT4WD CRV. Of course it is not a truck. I looked at the vehicle and did some internet research. It is an RT4WD. My research found a very technical explanation of how it works. Went over my head. Yeah I know, I must be a lunatic because my area of expertise is not automobiles. Again, please hold your breath until I understand how the RT4WD works.

My guess is, it's plenty good enough for the weather you find yourself in most of the time--*especially* if you use winter tires. For the really extreme weather that it's not suitable for, do what many of us do--stay home and wait a day or so for things to clear.

You can do that, or you could go out and buy the most extreme vehicle you can find to tackle even the thousand-year storms that *may* come by in your lifetime. Doesn't make any sense, but that's what some people do.

Here's an idea: you should take it into your garage and park it where it can sit until you read the owner's manual that you threw around somewhere back in 1997 because "hell, I know how to drive a car, I don't need no owner's manual!".

...you should always, always, always read your owner's manual.

Reply to
Boomer

It's an all wheel drive car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Then you don't know me.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Again, one should ALWAYS read the owner's manual. If you bought it used without one, you should have immediately pursued buying one.

But again, people think, "I don't need an owner's manual, hell, I know how to drive!!!" and move on--and then come to places like this to ask questions that are straight out of the owner's manual.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Tinkerer" wrote in news:itvovp$8bo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Then it has an open front diff, which is why one wheel spins and the other doesn't.

As for the non-alcohol thing, that's arrant nonsense. The Owner's Manuals for ALL Hondas plainly state that ethanol up to 10% concentration is safe for the fuel system and engine.

Reply to
Tegger

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Elmo,many people would rather ask someone than open up a book and find the answer themselves. it's the easy way out. I used to work with a bunch of techs who always did that. they'd get mad when I told them their answer was on the microfich,or asked if they had checked the fiche first,before bothering me.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Tinkerer" wrote in news:itvovp$8bo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Then it has an open front diff, which is why one wheel spins and the other doesn't.

As for the non-alcohol thing, that's arrant nonsense. The Owner's Manuals for ALL Hondas plainly state that ethanol up to 10% concentration is safe for the fuel system and engine.

Reply to
Boomer

We're talking the owner's manual here.

If it's not in the owner's manual, or if the owner's manual is unclear, then ask away.

But I'm not even talking about "open the book to find the answer". How about starting with simply reading the owner's manual to begin with--not to find a specific answer, but to get an understanding of how the car and its features work.

If I open a chemistry textbook looking for something specific, I'll be lost. But if I decide I want to know chemistry, I open the textbook and start learning.

If I decide I want to own a car, I open the manual and start learning.

Ignore the owner's manual at your own peril.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ah, the old wives' tales.

Again, reading the owner's manual would have told him that...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You would have realized that early on had you read your owner's manual...

It's chock full of information that you don't know about your car to this day.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty