AOL dumps newsgroups

Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early

2005" (see below).

When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's for reduced service!

If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell Us" and let those bastards hear from you.

----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------

Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early

2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla Thunderbird

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
We apologize for this inconvenience.

Reply to
Mike Yankee

Be sure to add "I'm dropping your service" while you're telling them... it's been no secret AOL's not the best deal out there for years, yet people keep sending them their money. I don't get it...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Really. Earthlink is cheaper I think their customer service is better. Other ISPs are no doubt better and/or cheaper than AOL as well.

Ragnar

i use highstream.net. i pay $11.95 (incl turbo), and customer service has been excellent.

Reply to
joggernut