disengage 4 wheel drive

hi , on my 2001 frontier when i'm in 4wd and disengage it , i have to drive approx. a mile or so before the 4wd light goes out and 4wd is truly disengaged . is this normal and if not what can i do to make it disengage sooner ? thanks for any help , dick

Reply to
D.

try backing-up a few feet.

Reply to
JimV

thanks Jim , i'll give that a try . D.

Reply to
D.

thanks Jim , that did the trick almost as soon as i put it in reverse ! but tell me , is this standard procedure or is some thing not operating correctly ? shouldn't i be able to do it on the fly ? Dick

Reply to
D.

on 11/5/2007 5:24 PM D. said the following:

Pull down the driver's visor The instructions should be on the back.

Reply to
willshak